Author Topic:  Gibson Console Grand Bridge Covers
Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 3:52 pm    

Any idea where I can find these?

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 5:29 pm    

I don't know of any ready reproductions available, and they are not easy to reproduce, so you'd probably have to find a loose original for sale, or you could maybe post a WTB somewhere. It's kind of the same situation with early Fender bridge covers, as they rarely come up for sale. And other than certain 6 string lap steel parts I think Gibsons are parted out less often. You probably just have to watch and be patient. Gibson seemed to use this same bridge cover design from the late 30s through the mid 50s on various lap steels and consoles, but they will likely differ in size a little depending on whether they were made for 6, 7 or 8 string guitars.

I'm fortunate to have both covers on my Console Grande. I've read somewhere that Gibson official referred to them as "finger rests", although I'm uncertain if they had some other specific intention for their usage. Some people like to remove them so they can do bridge muting. I don't bridge mute, so I initially rested my palm there when I started playing the console. As I began to vary where I picked the strings I no longer rest my hand there very often, but I still like seeing them there for completeness and originality.

I continue searching for bridge covers for my 54 Stringmaster, which are rare as hen's teeth, but on a Fender its a little more common and accepted to discard bridge covers and expose the bridge's industrial utilitarian design. At least the Gibson has a more attractive naked bridge IMO.

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 7:07 pm     Thank You

I'll just be patient