The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sound Of Sarah
Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 11:48 pm    

I would love to know, what effects Sarah Jory used in her Unchained Melody, Last Horizon, and Mansion on The Hill. Anyone have any idea? I would sure love for her to come on here and tell us. What talent this lady has, not only playing, but a beautiful singer too. I have been beating my brains trying to figure it out. I know the one part she uses an E-Bow, but her sound alone, just makes it. Help from anyone.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 6:04 am    

A while back, I emailed her manager and asked what type of delay she was using. The reply was a Boss DD-3.

Last edited by Len Amaral on 26 Aug 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 11:21 am    

Thanks for the information.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 1:25 am    

I don't know if she still does, but for quite some time she was was using the Barcus-Berry pickups that most of us hate..
A significant part of her sound has got to come from that distinctive right hand technique of hers, what I call her "Cobra strike", with the fingers hovering high over the strings, and almost getting flung at the strings.
Most instrument techniques are developed either for efficiency of movement or preservation of ergonomics: to that end, I don't think I'd advocate learning her method, as it looks like utter hell on the carpal tunnel, but she certainly makes it work for her.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 5:27 am    

Lane, good observation. Sarah is a very aggressive player.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 5:49 am    

I have watched her right hand a lot. Everything she does, is totally wrong with the teaching of Jeff Newman, but she has a touch that would be hard to duplicate, this for sure. I felt most was in her right hand, but was just puzzled how, it could be so different, but yet, so wonderful. She is just one amazing player. The sound she gets, from her music, is just hard to figure out. I have just never heard anyone get this type. What a girl. Not only the steel, but mandolin, banjo, and guitar, not to mention her singing. I just figured some of the guys had figured her sound out. I guess it's like trying to figure the Big E's.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 4:27 pm    

Jim Reynolds said..... "I guess it's like trying to figure the Big E's."

To me Sarah sounds a lot like BE, style & tone, she plays the Day setup...maybe thats it.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 5:46 pm    

Yes, I noticed that too. What ever it is, she is great. I just can't figure her sound, I don't think her set up could cause that. hahaha