The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  why its just impossible getting my steel to be nicely tuned?
Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 5:50 pm    

I read the post I have a question that is.is it possibly overturned on strings in question? Bob M

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 3:00 am    

Dave Magram wrote:

Since 1 hertz is equal to 4 cents
- Dave

Isn't that too generic? A cent is 1/100th of half note, so it varies a lot between lower notes and high notes.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 8:46 am    

Marco Schouten wrote:
Dave Magram wrote:

- Dave

Isn't that too generic? A cent is 1/100th of half note, so it varies a lot between lower notes and high notes.

Correct, Marco. There is no formula for converting hertz to cents. But, our electronic tuners are set up to tell us a very useful little lie.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 10:10 am    

Right. In the range around the 440 Hz calibration scale of electronic tuners, 1 Hz is approximately 4 cents. If we were using actual frequency counters, the formula for converting Hz to cents would be logarithmic. Don't go there! Whoa! Laughing

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 10:17 am    

Marco Schouten wrote:
Dave Magram wrote:

- Dave

QUESTION:Same thing tuning with the Hertz reading (439,442.5,441.5 etc...) ???
Thanks !

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 10:57 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
QUESTION:Same thing tuning with the Hertz reading (439,442.5,441.5 etc...) ???
Thanks !

I can only speak for the Boss tuner that I use. The hertz and cents offset markers correspond to the "A 440" center line. But, I can set the center line reference pitch to 5 different frequencies. If the tuner is set to 441, then the markers are relative to that frequency and do not represent the actual offset numbers. The same applies to any pitch that is not A 440.

The differences are not huge, but some people are more sensitive to tuning offset inaccuracies than others. if you were tuning an octave above A440 and you were still using the actual 1Hz = 4c formula, my guess is just about everyone would notice. That is why there is no formula. My understanding is the hertz-to-cents ratio is a logarithm based on a reference frequency.

Clear as mud? This is why it was suggested we "not go there!"

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 3:07 pm    

Thanks !

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 9:44 pm    

Has anyone checked the steel over, for loose screws, and such? I bought a GFI S 12 Uni ULTRA steel used that was only a year or two old when I got it. The original owner said he had problems with getting it to tune the pedals and knee levers. I had problems with getting it to tune up and hold, Plus one string open had a weird citar sound. I ended up pulling the nut rollers and found the problem. The black powder over spray was dragging the Nut rollers, and was holding one of the rollers slightly out of line. A little needle file work truing up the rollers slots of the powder coat cured the problem. You will have to remove 2 screws from the bottom side of the steel and remove the complete nut roller assembly from the guitar to remove the roller shaft. I E-mailed GFI and explained the problem and what I wanted to do and they said that I had to remove the 2 screws to accomplish what I wanted to do. I have not had a problem since I got the rollers turning free since I cleaned up the slots. Just something that may be causing the problem you describe.
GFI has many adjustable stops under the steel that may be a problem also. Good Luck finding the problem and cure. Happy Steelin.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 6:16 pm     Tuning in Cents

This is tuning I used to use with a Boss Tuner. Hope this helps.