The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with George L's right angle cable...help?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 2:42 am    

I started out with a 5' George L's cable it's getting shorter and I still can't get a sound from it,I've cut little bits off both ends and put plugs back on one end right angle one end straight.If someone can think of something else that I can try?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:06 am    

It's obviously broken 2 1/2 feet from one end... Laughing

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:43 am     R angle

I had that same problem with my right angle George L's. Someone had posted the correct way to put the cable in and that stopped that issue with mine. I would put the cable in then bend it over before screwing in the cap. According to the instructions (which never came with the plugs BTW) DO NOT BEND THE CABLE, just let the cap do it.

BTW, I enjoyed your set at the SWSGA last January.

Geo

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:48 am    

Had the same problem as George. Bending the cable before screwing on the cap prevents the right angle cap from exerting enough pressure on the cable jacket to cut through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 5:45 am    

George L's had a later, improved, version of their right angle plug. It eliminated potential problems but they discontinued the "better" product.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 5:54 am    

George,I'm pretty sure I did it the way that you said?I will keep trying,And I'm glad that you enjoyed my set,I'm actually working on some new songs so I don't bore people to death!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 6:28 am    

Still not working...Oh Well!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 6:49 am    

Maybe it's in the end itself? Check the cable w an ohm meter then check the ends as well to see if a tiny piece of wire has lodged itself between the tip and sleeve.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:41 am    

Jim,I have two different right angle ends that I've tried to get working since early this morning, don't have a meter nor do I know how to use one but I do know how to use a can of lighter fluid,soon it will be torched!Grrr!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 8:14 am    

Harbor Freight- u can get one for about $15- really easy to use- just to check if there is a short

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 23 Aug 2017 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 8:27 am    

I was making some right angle to straight GL cables recently. I used plugs from already made cords. They didn't work. I found the problem in the straight plug. I would put adifferent straight or a right angle plug on and it would work. My suspicion is that the tiny pin in the plug has either bent or broke when pulling the cable from the plug, or inserting it.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:13 am     pin

Good point, Richard. That is very possible. Also make sure that the cord goes in very straight so the center pin goes into only the center of the cord and not touching the ground wire. Another thing to check is that nothing has gotten in the plug to keep the cord from going all the in to make contact.
Geo

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 2:35 pm    

Nothing beats solder for serious work.

The exposed wire of any cable oxidizes over time so do the insides of a connector, and solder keeps things clean and protected from oxidation not to mention tight and a molecular part of the connector.

George L cable is good cable but it is a COAX CABLE so it doesn't lend itself to twisting and folding. The insides can bend and break from trying to fold this cable like a clothesline rope. It needs to be coiled like a lasso to keep it lasting longer.

Put a multimeter on your cable and move the cable to see if it breaks continuity. Then you'll know there is a break somewhere.

If you dont't have time to mess with it get new cable and have extras sitting at the ready.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 3:07 pm    

I have only had one problem (one end) with a George L's cable and I've been using them since they first came out in the early/mid 80's. I have George L's cables that were made in the 80's and still working like new.

As measured on a Sen-Cor capacitance tester, George L's cable is 25pf per foot. It also has an internal anti-static application, as did the Bill Lawrence cable that preceded it. L&L Sales was "Lawrence and Lewis" and when Bill Lawrence sold his part to George Lewis the company was still L&L Sales but the "George L's" name was applied to products.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 3:47 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
L&L Sales was "Lawrence and Lewis" and when Bill Lawrence sold his part to George Lewis the company was still L&L Sales but the "George L's" name was applied to products.

Thanks for the inside baseball on the origination Jack.Smile

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 8:19 am    

Cleanly cut the cable with a blade instead of wirecutters... Worked really well for me

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 8:27 am    

I have always used good sharp wire cutters with no problems.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 7:15 am    

Generally the problem encountered with the straight plug is tightening the set screw too tight.

With the right angle, it is bending the wire too far before screwing on the cap, thus pulling the wire off the pin.

In 26 years of being a George L's user and dealer, I have only had 3 BAD plugs, and they were bad right out of the package.

Here are the instructions for both types of plugs Pay close attention to set screw tightening depending on whether you are using the .155 or .225 cables.

BTW: It is best to use a straight edge blade, very sharp to cut the cable STRAIGHT across

This will make trouble free connections.

Something to remember. When removing your R/A plugs from your steel, either pull straight out or twist slightly clockwise as this will always keep the cap tight.
I use the Plug Jackets and this eliminates twisting the cap.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 9:58 am    

I have two bad straight plugs. Never had a problem with the right angle plugs. I do believe them going bad was my fault. I probably broke the pins when inserting the cable. When I tighten the set screw, I always tighten a little at a time, and using a meter, I stop when I get continuity.

My gripe with GL, is that crappy outer insulation. I have never been able to get it to lay flat. I coil the cables to fit in my seat, but they still want to coil up on the floor. For that reason, I won't use their cable for anything over a foot or two. And even the short cords, I have to play with them so they don't get in my way.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 10:13 am    

I never have a calling problem with the small diameter jacket. It lays right on the floor for me if I unroll it properly. I never have a closing problem with the small diameter jacket. It lays right on the floor for me if I unload it properly.
The larger diameter I mostly cell to stand up guitar players and they don't worry about it laying flat on the floor.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 10:48 am    

I bought some George L cables and plugs a while back. I use some of them right away and had no problems. When I made another one sometime later, I kept having problems that turned out to be one particular plug – a straight plug - that was clearly bad from the get-go. I have not have any other problems. Clearly, though, it is possible to get a defective plug even when new.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:13 pm    

I just got some George L's cable and connectors from Bill Ferguson. I had not used them before, so following the instructions was important. Also found some helpful videos.

The cable has to bottom out evenly in the plug to achieve a good connection with the center conductor. I was successful after using wire cutters, but watch for any deformation or bulging at the cut. Roll it smooth so it will insert into the center.

As Bill said, the straight plug's set screw can be over-tightened... don't Oh Well

Pliers are helpful when screwing the cap onto the right angle plug.

The .155" diameter cable is awesome. I'm glad I finally paid attention to the recommendations. And thanks again to Bill.