The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E string lower to D# by right knee lever
Alex D Smith

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:14 pm    

Hi,

I'm just an egg, you might say. I have a new to me Miller D10 and I have a very capable instructor that encouraged me not to be too shy about posting me questions here.

For the E9 neck, I have the A and B pedals tuned pretty close to listenable, and (as of just earlier this eve) also the C pedal and the left knee lever. The copedent is the 4th string E raises to F# by the C pedal and to F by the left knee lever. Now that I've done this, the right knee lever doesn't seem to lower to D# as it did before I started trying to be so smart with tuning pedals.

I think this guitar isn't one of the most common, and I read that some of these pull release guitars won't raise and also lower a string. I just got the guitar so I don't want to take it to a shop, and it seems like the RKL just stopped doing what it had been doing a couple days ago.

I am asking for any advice you have for getting more knowledgeable about this instrument, please. [Really, I want to have that E to D# lower back.] I feel like I spend all my practice time just trying to get it tuned, and it's burning me out; just making zero progress.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 10:26 pm    

You might have accidentally eliminated the slack in the raise rod (or rods). The raise rod needs to have enough slack to allow the finger to release all the way to D#.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 10:38 pm    

Refer to this drawing. When the lowering rod releases the finger, the finger is free to drop all the way to the stop screw, but the raise rod and its pulling collar have to allow the finger to relax all the way to the screw.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 1:33 am    

as a new player I just wonder if you are trying to learn on an instrument that may be causing you to spend all of your time messing with the instrument rather than trying to find the music.

Millers were one of the first to exit the scene way back in the early 70's. It's not that they can't be made or adjusted to be a reasonably ok player, they can be, given they are complete, but it may be that it may take you a very long time to get to that point ! Time that you can be spending PLAYING.

I tried to order a Miller way back when I was venturing out, they looked good etc, but they kept telling me they had no wood ??? No wood ??? So I bought a Sho Bud Maverick and never looked back.

Regarding your E lower, Lane is correct, you need to put some slop back into your other changes but that won't help in constantly tuning as you sit and play.

Good luck !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:53 am    

With a pull-release, once it's set up right, it's rock solid.
But newbies often forget the slack in strings that raise and lower.
I'm willing to bet that the raise rod is stopping the finger before it gets to the screw at D#.

Where in California are you?

Alex D Smith

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 8:22 am     E lower to D#

Thanks, gents. My teacher and I have decided this is a job for a professional. I'll arrange something accordingly.

I'm in La Habra, Lane. It's in Orange County. Check it out--we've got some famous people that lived or worked here and we gave the world the Hass avocado.

Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 10:44 am    

If you don't mind driving an hour or so, Jim Palenscar's shop is just down the road in Oceanside.

He's got the touch you need.

http://www.steelguitars.me/

Alex D Smith

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 5:47 am     S all worked out nicely

Hi,

A kind forum member that's local around here generously helped me get the guitar set up nicely in tune, so if you were worried like I was about this, then let this put your mind at ease. This guitar sounds musical and holy, so thank you very much to my friend and to all of you for your helpful suggestions.