The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taming treble on a twin..
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 1:09 am    

You're right, Godfrey. I Put the SICA back in last night, played it tonight. Totally different EQ. Could turn the mids down a number and maintain the string separation, could run the treble up to 3.5, bass at 4, vol. at 7-8..sounded good. Smile Not sure why the JBL is so bright..it does have an aluminum dust cap, and may not be broken in yet..dunno. It was sure easier to get it into the truck with the SICA! Might put the JBL in a cab and pipe music through it for a while longer and see if it mellows.
Guess I'll declare this horse officially dead. Thanks much for the help and suggestions! Smile This is a great place for info!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 2:15 am    

Dave, this is the way things are. Combinations of gear gets you to where you want to go. It takes doing. The JBL didn't bring out what you wanted from your amp. Happens a lot. The speaker is the final link in the chain. Parts is parts. Speakers have their own free air resonance, peaks and frequency curves, sensitivity, xmax. You would be able to tell this by looking at specs on both speakers where the speakers are efficient and maximized. Voicing a speaker to an amp is key.

Good it worked out with the SICA.