The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 800 - Plastic Sleeves on pull bars
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 4:59 pm    

So, I got this very clean Fender 800 only to find boulders and the La Brea Tar Pits under the shiny tuner pan. Easily fixed, even for an arts graduate.

But in trying to change the copedent (pretty sure it wasn't E9th before), I find a lot of the plastic/vinyl sleeves that hold the loops in the pulling bars are old and fused (rusted) to the bars. The worst ones look like they've never been used--i.e., never had string loops under them. Unless super-small needle nose pliers can do what larger ones can't, how do I remove them? I probably need to get in and give all 40 bars a good cleaning and lube.

And what can I use as a replacement material--some kind of surgical or aquarium tubing? I thought I'd just start all over and make all new ones, as these are about 44 years old.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 8:12 pm    

Ben, I think that a photo here would be a good idea. My Fender 400 never had any such Pieces of Plastic so I wonder if what you are seeing is the work of a prior owner and not necessarily needed. Here's a photo of my changer:

If you have the older long scale guitar then the changer is different, but to the best of my knowledge still no Pieces of Plastic. You can ignore the Electronic Parts which are home-brew Tone Controls. And no, I don't remember what the copedant was (if there was one) when the photo was taken.

HTH. Good Luck with the new project. As you probably know, Fender PSGs can be a Lot of Fun. Cool

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 9:29 pm    

They're stock (I had them on another 800) and mentioned in the Fender 800 manual...if not extensively illustrated.

https://app.box.com/s/4y67nz46v4y3his7gahu

I guess they're a later-era (black pedals, Jaguar-style pickup, 1964 and later) feature.

(Pics will have to wait, as the beast is in storage in advance of my having to go back to the ancestral family domicile two time zones east for a week to clear out my childhood treasures and prep things for estate and real estate sales.)

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 8:33 am    

No need now for pics on my account. I went through the Old Family Estate routine some years ago before the Old Man passed to get him into Assisted Living. You have my best wishes there.

What you have is newer than my experience. I could of course speculate further all day but I won't. Hopefully, Jim P or Jim S will see this and give you some experience-based info. Good Luck with the Project when you get to it. Cool

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:41 am    

I have had 4 of those guitars,, Those tubes are put there by some owners to keep the cable hooks from falling off the changer.. I personally don't think they came from the factory that way, but we can agree to disagree... once your copedent is set, and you are sure you won't change it, many guys use heat shrink.. Works very well.. If you don't use it, those cables are prone to falling off when you transport the guitar in its case... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 3:00 pm    

Heat Shrink tubing. I do it when I have nine or ten pedal Fender 400s with two knees. Some loops want to fall off when slack is caused by a longer pull on the same finger.