The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speedy West Custom light beam pedal?
Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 6:16 pm    

Heya, forum. A local musician here ended up w/ a powered light beam type pedal w/ a "Speedy West Custom Guitars" emblem which I'm considering buying. It has the same badge that appeared on some Marlens. Anyone ever see/own one of these? I'm curious as to whether these came w/ the Speedy branded Marlens or if someone just threw one of those badges on a different maker's vp. Any info or thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Last edited by Pete McAvity on 21 Aug 2017 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 5:46 am    

What a neat pedal...I've seen a Marlen sales brochure that a formite had posted in a previous thread, and they did offer the Edwards Light Beam pedal, but don't recall it having the Speedy West logo? I suppose anything is possible?
Some Mothers mag & wheel polish will get this cleaned up nice! If you need the tread replaced, give me a holler, I can help you out.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 5:58 am    

Thanks Edward! That makes sense. Edwards light beam pedals came up in a search under "For Sale: Amps & Accessories" that looked like the same housing, but with a single tread strip rather than divided like this one. Thanks for the heads up- if I get it I'll contact you about the strip!

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 1:30 pm    

That is one strange pedal. I have never seen one like it. I think the Edwards pedal did not have the divided rubber top. This is the only pedal I have ever seen like this one. By the way, Speedy West was from the same town as I am from. When I was a kid the old woman who was my lap steel teacher once taught Speedy.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 2:52 pm    

It's not my thread, but thanks for the info Keith! The top of the pedal looks like the Marlen pedal I have...mine is a passive pot pedal. Looks like this one...

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 5:47 pm    

If I remember correctly Speedy played a Marlin Steel before his death. If I were guessing, and this is a guess, I would guess that Marlin Guitar Company used the same technology as the Edwards pedal. The Edwards pedal was made in Denver, Colorado. The Edwards pedal used a light dependent resistor. It was cutting edge technology back in that time period.