The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rackmount Power Amp
Steve Gall

Las Vegas, Nevada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 10:42 am    

Started using a Line 6 Helix for my everything tone and effect box. I've been stereo lugging two Nashville 112's for a while. I can now set them flat on tone with 5 on the input 5 on the output and my tone sings. However going into the power amp in does not give me the volume I'm looking for. Would like to put my two 12's in one cabinet and power them with a power amp from the rig rack without dropping $1,000 on a high end amp. I also have a couple of 15" Black Widows from some old Vegas 400's I'd like to power with the same power amp. The 112's and the Vegas 400 are listed with 210W RMS into 4 ohms. Possible? Any suggestions?

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 2:36 pm     Peavey IPR 1600

Has a built in cooling fan and lights up nicely when on. 1600 watts peak power in stereo. I love mine.

The best of all is the weight

Steve Gall

Las Vegas, Nevada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 5:20 pm     Wattage

It seems that 350W @ 4 ohms continuous is the rating for most Black Widows. Aren't you concerned about too much wattage or do attenuate the amp input?

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 9:53 pm    

This company has been a dark horse coming out of nowhere.

Sound companies use their mixers, crossovers and amps.

USD$150.00 budget enough for ya?

Class D has come up in the world. Lightweight, low cost.

Output power (per channel, stereo): 110 watts RMS, 160 watts peak (8 ohms), 210 watts RMS, 310 watts peak (4 ohms), 380 watts RMS, 530 watts peak (2 ohms) • Output power (bridged mono): 430 watts.

Has a crossover or you can bridge both channels into mono.

There are louder models of these with DSP. Since you're into hauling cabs, got the 2x12 and the 2x15's you could crossover the 12's and get wild with the lows going to the 15's. Sky's the limit.

Steve Gall

Las Vegas, Nevada
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:40 am    

I have an X32 Rack in my steel rack to control the band (volume and tone-wise anyway) So I am a big fan. I use X32's and Producers in my day gig corporate AV world. Just another reason for the laptop to ride in the rack drawer. I am such a geek. Looks like the NU1000DSP is gonna be the one. I can cabinet tune the amp to the 2x12 cabinet or the 15 cabinets and leave the Helix alone for the global tone. Thanks for the tip. BTW one of my best friends just got back from 2 weeks in Manila. He can't wait to go back.
Mullen 12/10 8/5 w "pedal dobro" pickup with tone control, Cry Baby, Line 6 Helix Rack, Helix Rack Foot Controller Telonics Stereo Volume, 2 Nashville 112's. 1956 Harmony Lap, Powerslide, Pearl River Dobro, JD Aura pedal

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 10:53 am    

So many choices... this is mine...

http://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-1002

Been very happy with this amp, which I run with my Revelation Tube Pre-amp... quite and clean and lots of power, or at least plenty of power for me.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 12:09 pm    

Steve Gall wrote:
I have an X32 Rack in my steel rack to control the band (volume and tone-wise anyway) So I am a big fan. I use X32's and Producers in my day gig corporate AV world. Just another reason for the laptop to ride in the rack drawer. I am such a geek. Looks like the NU1000DSP is gonna be the one. I can cabinet tune the amp to the 2x12 cabinet or the 15 cabinets and leave the Helix alone for the global tone. Thanks for the tip. BTW one of my best friends just got back from 2 weeks in Manila. He can't wait to go back.

Welcome you are...yup you've got it sussed Steve.

Us geeks travel in packs. Smile

Bet your friend had a blast!

There are a few forum members who have visited and lived here for a while and some plan to retire here on other islands away from the big city.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 2:43 pm     Re: Wattage

Steve Gall wrote:
It seems that 350W @ 4 ohms continuous is the rating for most Black Widows. Aren't you concerned about too much wattage or do attenuate the amp input?

Steve, your speaker should be able to handle the amp no problem as long as you arent maxing out the volume.

I pulled this off the Peavey website.

Rated Power (2 x 4 ohms) - 530 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
Rated Power (2 x 8 ohms) - 300 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.