The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Forgot my VP at gig today😳
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 3:06 pm    

I don't play out all that often so yesterday I organized my pack seat and gig bag with cables, extension cords, mic and the Telonics VP. I was excited to try some of the new tapers I downloaded in the pedal.

I get to the gig today, a wedding and start setting up and no VP😬 I forgot to put it back in the gig bag and I start to panic, thinking there is a music store 1/2 hour away. The guitar player said, use mine I can get by without it today. A Dunlop mini VP. Hey, any port in a storm. It was OK and and although it's small it saved the day.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 3:13 am    

Len,I used to keep a guitar strap between the window and dash of my van,I can't tell you how many times either myself or another band member forgot their strap.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 4:23 am    

Part of my "equipment" is a tool bag with a volume pedal, spare cables, a tuner, extra picks and bar, set of strings, batteries and assorted miscellaneous tools. It doesn't get loaded in, but it's a life saver if you have the need.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 8:21 am    

My story of forgetting: when I was 18 or so, me and the little band I was in saved our $$ and bought a (Yamaha or Peavey - can't remember) little 6 channel, all in one PA head. We used it in rehearsal a few times and then used it at a friends wedding at a local Ramada Inn. Didn't play for a while after. I bought some monitors and called the other guitarist and asked him to bring the PA so we could check it out - we'd left it at the Ramada 6 or 7 months earlier! Big lesson: I never again lost a PA hahaha!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 9:24 am    

Roger Crawford wrote:
Part of my "equipment" is a tool bag with a volume pedal, spare cables, a tuner, extra picks and bar, set of strings, batteries and assorted miscellaneous tools. It doesn't get loaded in, but it's a life saver if you have the need.

Same here. I purchased an inexpensive tool bag from Harbor Freight and loaded it with spare gear. It lives in my old Ford Exploder.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 5:56 pm    

I keep a complete set of everything -- bars, picks, cables, VP -- both at home and in the pack a seat. I don't play that game of maybe forgetting stuff any more.

About thirty-five years ago I showed up for a New Year's Eve gig (45 minutes away from home) without my VP. My band mates said "Hey, can't you just play without it?" Well, no. So I went back and got it, driving crazy fast, and still missed the entire first set. By then the band was PO'd because they had to play mostly rock songs in my absence and the crowd had turned hostile.

I got a second VP after that disaster and now one never leaves the pack a seat except at gigs.