The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has Hawaii dis-owned the Steel Guitar?
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 1:10 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 17 Jan 2018 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:35 am    

Jeff Au Hoy wrote:
Just about every new Hawaiian album in recent memory features steel guitar. Casey Olsen, Bobby Ingano, and I are all working steadily playing the steel guitar. Alan Akaka's music school is thriving. Sorry we missed you. Aloha

Jim Mckay wrote:
... Jeff Au Hoy, Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha, Bobby Ingano, just to mention a few. A great experience and wonderful people. Then you will believe the dream does exist.

This is exactly what I meant when I say that Hawai'i is re-examining the steel guitar!

I'm so happy that there is a NEW crop of top-notch steel players.

Thanks for posting, Jeff!

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:32 pm    

In the early & mid '90s I visited the Islands a couple times. In visiting four Islands I asked lots of locals about music groups with steelers. No referrals on any island. I suspect I just may not have known where to ask.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 6:59 pm    

Actually, Duke Ching played steel for Don Ho, from what his wife told me..

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 6:24 am    

Bill Creller wrote:

I think that was early on...and I have heard a bit of steel on some of his studio work.

I'm pretty sure the Aliis did not use steel guitar very much at all.

from Wiki:
"From 1964 to 1969, Don's backing group was The Aliis: Al Akana, Rudy Aquino, Benny Chong, Manny Lagodlagod and Joe Mundo."

from his bio
"Backing him were the five Fabulous Aliis: Joe Mundo playing piano, Al Akana on drums, Benny Chong on guitar, Manny Lagodlagod on bass and Rudy Aquino on xylophone, percussion and doubling on half-a-dozen other instruments. Don presided at his organ"

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 1:36 pm    

Bill Creller wrote:

Yes Bill, Duke and others no doubt.
On a recording I heard, Don Ho"s "Sweet Someone". It's Jerry Byrd backing.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 6:55 am    

Jim Mckay wrote:
Bill Creller wrote:

Yes Bill, Duke and others no doubt.
On a recording I heard, Don Ho"s "Sweet Someone". It's Jerry Byrd backing.

So this was recorded before the Alii's?

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:58 am    

Not sure about what years etc, here's a version of "Sweet Someone" Jerry Byrd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-OXqDbadk

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 12:35 pm    

If Don Ho was truly representative, I would most definitely "dis-own" Hawaiian music. Razz

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:20 pm    

Jim Mckay wrote:

What a GREAT break by Jerry Byrd and he finishes out the tune so nicely!
And BTW...what's so bad about Don Ho Question

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 10:43 am    

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:
Jim Mckay wrote:

What a GREAT break by Jerry Byrd and he finishes out the tune so nicely!
And BTW...what's so bad about Don Ho Question

Don Ho (rightly or wrongly) is viewed as the ultimate lounge singer. Maybe the Wayne Newton of Hawaiian music?

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 3:05 pm    

Tourist music !! Made for the masses in the mainland ! LOL !

Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 7:14 am     Don Ho

Don Ho was a well talented and respected entertainer here in the islands. Yes he did play for the masses of tourist that brought many here. Prior to the renaissance of Hawaiian music many musicians played some of his music at one time or another.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 7:35 am    

I always get requests for Don Ho's Music... usually Tiny Bubbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVPE4xTSMOg

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:33 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
A few years ago there was some discussion here about Hawaiian lawmakers voting to make the ukulele the "official state instrument" of Hawaii. That bill passed.

I am a Libertarian and one of my beliefs is that Government is not good at anything. Yes, Government can get things done and it does some very good things. Even then, it costs 10X more than it should. Most often Government is used as force to give an economic advantages to an industry.
There must be a Ukulele distributor, builders or ukulele association who pushed this law in order to promote their industry in Hawaii. It takes a lot of work to pass a law. There is some agenda. I would have to see the bill.
My conclusion is if the Government says something is "official" I say "what a joke". I would feel the same way if steel guitar we're the official Government mandated instrument. But as we all know there's little money in selling steel guitars.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 9:27 am    

I wasn't able to catch Jeff Au Hoy, Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha, etc. - but my wife and I were able to see The Bobby Ingano Trio during their regular Monday evening gig at Dot's Restaurant in Wahiawa Town last November. Dom, I posted about this in your thread about visiting Oahu but I don't believe you replied.

You missed it buddy! Wink

Bobby and his trio were fantastic. The man plays like "buttah" on his Frypan into a little Roland Cube - and he sounded great. He recently had the guitar gone through some restoration by forumite Bill Creller of Michigan.

Bobby is also a pretty decent mandolin player, he picked his mando on a few tunes.

We were talking during the intermission and the subject came up regarding another steel playing Bobby who I get to see a couple times a year since he is semi-local to me - the legendary Mr. Black. Bobby I. was telling me that he first got turned on to Bobby Black during the Commander Cody days and has loved his playing for many years.

Dot's is old school Hawaii with mostly locals, and everyone was as nice as could be to us visiting Californians. And here is just how nice: Sandy and I were celebrating anniversary #35. We sat next to a family where the elderly gentleman (more elderly than I!) was a retired music professor who taught at a college in Washington and then returned to his native Oahu. We talked and I let him know I'm a long time steel player and fan of the instrument. I was asking my wife toward the end of the evening if the server had brought our check and she whispered to me that our new friend paid for our dinner. I of coursed thanked him profusely.

Talk about the Aloha spirit!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 9:50 am    

Did anyone notice in Jeff Au Hoy's post there was a blizzard in Hawaii?

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 1:49 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
I wasn't able to catch Jeff Au Hoy, Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha, etc. - but my wife and I were able to see The Bobby Ingano Trio during their regular Monday evening gig at Dot's Restaurant in Wahiawa Town last November.
Bobby is also a pretty decent mandolin player, he picked his mando on a few tunes.

Dot's is old school Hawaii with mostly locals, and everyone was as nice as could be to us visiting Californians....

Talk about the Aloha spirit!

What a great post!

I love seeing the frypan next to the modeling amp. Old and new side by side!

Next, I have a new destination next time I visit Oahu.

http://www.dotswahiawa.com/menu

Do I get the Japanese entrees or the Kalua Pig with Cabbage?

http://www.dotswahiawa.com/events

Oh - I get to try both. I go Monday night and hear Bobby, and go Tuesday with my steel to the kanikapila.

http://www.dotswahiawa.com/announcements/tuesday-night-kanikapila-dots-lounge

"Tuesday Night Kanikapila @ Dots Lounge
(***Every 2nd & 4th Tuesdays***)"

Ah, the mandolin - an instrument older than the steel in Hawai'i. I'm a Sicilian-American, I played mandolin before steel...there's a story to be told about mandolin in the islands. Several other players doubled mandolin if I recall.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:09 pm    

Quote:
[quote="Mark Eaton"]I wasn't able to catch Jeff Au Hoy, Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha, etc. - but my wife and I were able to see The Bobby Ingano Trio during their regular Monday evening gig at Dot's Restaurant in Wahiawa Town last November. Dom, I posted about this in your thread about visiting Oahu but I don't believe you replied.

You missed it buddy! Wink

Mark;
I
know I missed a lot! We were pretty much busy every day, in and around Waikiki, and limited to public transportation. I would loved to have driven out to Wahiawa to hear Bobby Ingano. Maybe next time?
Dom

Luke Foo

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 1:09 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
A few years ago there was some discussion here about Hawaiian lawmakers voting to make the ukulele the "official state instrument" of Hawaii. That bill passed. Funny thing is.... the ukulele originated in Portugal, not Hawaii. It was brought to Hawaii in the 1800s. The steel guitar IS an original Hawaiian instrument. Talk about disrespect! Surprised

Hi All:

I'm new to this forum, and new to the steel guitar. I'm lovin' it so far.

I am also a ukulele player. Are you aware that there are many esteemed ukulele builders and factories in Hawaii? Perhaps this is the reason the ukulele was named as the official state instrument. I'm guessing there are not many steel guitar builders in Hawaii.

Anyway, Mahalo to all!

Luke

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 1:43 pm    

Yes, you're right about that, Luke. More uke builders and more uke players. It's way more popular than steel guitar, for all of the reasons mentioned earlier. I like to complain about it, but I understand what's going on. In fact, I have more uke students now than steel guitar students! Cool

PS welcome to the Forum!

Luke Foo

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 2:53 pm    

Thanks Doug.

By the way, I bought your CD for C6 lap steel, and I am having fun with it. I love your playing, especially Travelin' Man on Youtube.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 2:57 pm    

Thanks, Luke!

John Kwasnik

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 3:33 pm    

Steve Atwood wrote:

Steel players should try listening to more Slack Key music. Great new Aloha-filled songs are coming to Slack Key players, more than to steel players I think, who seem in large part to be content with playing the long-ago-popular material, because that's what the audiences expect. Give Keola Beamer a listen, Ozzie Kotani, Dennis Kamakahi, Daniel Ho, John Keawe... It's got the same Aloha spirit in it as Sol, Jules, Andy, and the rest, but it's stronger because it's new and happening now. You need at least a 10-string guitar, but much of it is playable, and sometimes sounds like it could have been written for steel guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YPgi11qL4&list=PLWkUZaySK7EaJxwolNVKzz5gqwEjzxnbE&index=33

Steve --

Well ... yes and no. I've been playing slack key for 10 years, but only steel recently. Both heavily use thirds and sixths, harmonics, and long leaps mimicking yodels. But those 16th-note triplet ornaments would be hard on steel (at least for me!). And slack key is mostly solo, where you are playing your own bass parts along with the melody.

Flipping this around, ever hear Barry Flanagan's slack key? He has a move where he sounds a harmonic, then detunes-retunes the string to mimic steel.
========================

John Kwasnik

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 3:39 pm    

George Rout wrote:

In John Troutman's recent book, "How The Hawaiian Steel Guitar Changed The Sound of Modern Music", he covers in some detail throughout the book how and when it became popular and then almost to extinction, and changes to Slack Key, and out of Country Music, authentic Hawaiian vs non authentic et al.
Geo

George --
That's right -- excellent book, and the perfect case for steel guitar as THE uniquely Hawaiian instrument, while the ukulele was derived from the Portuguese cavaquinho.
========================