The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rooting a Dell Venue 7 tablet (Android) for volume warning
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 4:08 pm    

Hopefully there's someone geeky enough to help me with this. I want to use my tablet for playing backing tracks onstage. Great program called Backing Tracks Studio for this purpose. But several times when I've used it the dreaded "high volume warning" lowers the volume, usually in the middle of a song. If I could somehow root my tablet I have Xposed and they have a program that could shut this annoyance off. Checked around, and this looks like a difficult device to root. Anyone have any advice?

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 8:47 am    

I don't think I can solve your problem, but that behavior is a new one for me- I've just never seen it, and I've been through prolly 10 years of Android versions.

I do get the volume warning at the high end, but once I dismiss it, it never changes unless I change it. I think there's something else going on.

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 9:22 am    

Dave, you may be right. I think it may only happen if the volume is at peak. I guess I never saw it happen twice in the same night. Just got so annoyed that it happened in the middle of a song, at a gig. I'll try a few different things.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 11:22 am    

I own a Samsung Note 5, and one of the main ways I use the phone is to drive a bunch of bluetooth audio devices - earpiece, external speakers, connecting to cars/truck audio, etc. I customarily run the phone audio full blast, going through that warning turning the volume up all the way, and then control audio level using the controls on the external devices. That way, I never have to fiddle with the phone's controls.

I just don't see the volume level changing as you describe. I don't think it's a function of the Android OS - at least, none of mine have done it.

If it did, I'd be looking for anything else that may be running and might want to play with the volume settings. Might also be in some obscure audio setting in the tablet "Settings" app, too, conceivably - maybe some "Accessibility" setting is set to prevent "excessive" volume levels. Also, have you examined the audio settings in "Backing Tracks Studio" to see if anything there might be doing this?

If you do find the culprit, please post it here - I'd be curious.

Oh, and about rooting - I wouldn't rush into that decision. If you don't find anything to eliminate the unwanted volume changes, and decide to pursue rooting, just be aware there's no free lunch. Rooted devices, by definition, won't get push OTA OS updates, which you normally want to receive. I'm not a fan of rooting - it's a pretty harsh thing to do, and could cause more problems than it solves. Once you root a device, you're in uncharted (read: experimental, undocumented) water.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 15 Aug 2017 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 11:42 am    

Apparently this is a common problem since I've spent hours on the internet researching this. There's various apps that supposedly control this but from what I gather the only way to completely disable it is to root your device, then installed Xposed which has a module to disable this. Unfortunately the Venue 7 is a particularly difficult device to root, I'm told. If I could find a way to root it I would as the only important thing I'll be using it for is backing tracks. I have them all backed up to Dropbox in case of emergency. I could use a regular MP3 player for this but I'd have to have a separate playlist for every song since they automatically go to the next song. Pain. And Backing Track Studio is such a great app. You can scroll lyrics while the song is playing, instantly change order of songs, etc.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 11:48 am    

Michael Haselman wrote:
Apparently this is a common problem since I've spent hours on the internet researching this

What's a link to where people are discussing this? I've never heard of it, nor experienced it.

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 11:50 am    

https://androidforums.com/threads/headphone-volume-warning-can-it-be-turned-off.822286/ for one.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 12:09 pm    

Michael Haselman wrote:
https://androidforums.com/threads/headphone-volume-warning-can-it-be-turned-off.822286/ for one.

OK, except for the 1st poster, who talks about "every few minutes", what I see there is most posters trying to find a way to get rid of the high volume warning altogether, not dealing with random uncommanded volume changes. As I said, I DO get the warning, ONCE, but after I run volume to the top, nothing else changes till the next time I connect something and turn up the volume. I can live with it.

I still don't think it's a "feature" of Android to keep changing audio volume level on its own. I wouldn't tolerate that either if it happened. It hasn't so far.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 15 Aug 2017 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 12:13 pm    

Well, when you're doing a song at a gig and you never know when it will kick in it's a major pain. Happened to me a few times now. With bluetooth, or out of the headphone jack. And with the volume not all the way up also.