The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where do you place your effects pedals, if you use them?
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 10:45 am    

This is probably a stupid question because it hasn't come up in my search of the forum. Where do you put effects pedals in relation to your steel?

I haven't had to think about getting easy access to effects pedals before, mainly because I don't use many and those I do have are usually engaged between songs rather than during them. However, I am starting to use PSG in different types of music and would like to be able to change effects mid-song.

At the moment I have a small pedalboard (three effects and an A/B switch). It sits on the floor to my right, but I can't reach it easily whilst playing. Do most people lift the pedals off the floor and activate them by hand?

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 11:30 am    

Hi Chris, I use a pedaltrain jr. board for my pedals. I too find it uncomfortable reaching down to the floor to make changes. Currently, I just have it propped up on an old milk crate so it is level with my seat.

I have seen some of the steel seat makers that offer side-car like attachments for holding pedals right on the seat. That might be a better/easier way to do it. Perhaps someone will chime in with pics of their setups...

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 1:04 pm    

I put those that don't attach to the guitar on the open lid of the sidekick of my seat. And I prefer to keep them out of the chain when not in use.
Each box gets its own input cable, and when we're getting ready to do a song that uses that box (there are often three right there), I'll pull the cable from guitar to volume pedal, plug it into the output of the box, and plug the input cable into the guitar.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 5:51 pm    

On the floor, next to my volume pedal.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 6:19 pm    

I use the pre-eq patch for my delay and the post eq patch for my digital reverb. Superb sound. NV112

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:19 pm    

A little removable shelf I built from extruded aluminum. Lots of room for pedals and strong velcro to keep them in place.

Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 6:36 am    

I just place my steel case on the right hand side, and put my pedal board on top of the case. I have a Pedal Train JR board.

I also have my steel hit a couple pedal before the volume pedal.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 7:04 am    

Here's my latest setup, I use a Zoom G3 and love it. It is a lot cleaner than all of those old individual pedals, and a lot less potential for cable failures. It's easy to take my foot off the volume pedal and switch the effects without having to take my hands off the strings.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 7:17 am    

Chris,Good question I set my steel guitar case to my right and I have my tuner distortion and what ever else I am using at the time on the case I also turn the effects on and off with my hands,I've never been comfortable have my effects pedals on the floor?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 10:02 am     SKB pedal board

I just bought the SKB 9v powered pedal board. $100 from Sweetwater. I'm using an old speaker stand to raise it. A plastic milk crate would work, too.

Three of my devices don't use 9v, so I have 4 separate power supplies. I'm thinking that with a milk crate, I could have a power strip in the crate with everything plugged in, and get rid of all that mess.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 6:21 pm    

I've always had my pedalboard set up on my right on a folding type "camp" seat or set them on my SKB case for my electronics/mics etc. it's just the right height. Most my pedals were bought in the late 70's/80's and I have also used my right hand, so the pedals aren't all beat up & kicked around. Here's a photo from a few years ago...my board has changed some however.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 12:06 pm    

Shameless plug alert...
I just so happen to have this for sale on the forum

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=319776&highlight=

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 12:34 pm    

Gordon Hartin wrote:
I just place my steel case on the right hand side, and put my pedal board on top of the case. I have a Pedal Train JR board.

I also have my steel hit a couple pedal before the volume pedal.

whats the red pedal (bottom left) ? klone ??

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 7:32 pm    

When I'm not using my rack effects unit and just want to travel light with one reverb/delay/chorus unit, I made a little platform from a mic clip.

I had found when the stompbox was on the floor, I couldn't see it well enough to adjust it. Now it is close to me.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 11:23 am    

Pretty nifty, Ron. I like it!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 3:26 pm    

wow bOb, I used to have a Tube Rotoshere. I loved it. A great way to avoid hauling around a Leslie 122.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 8:47 pm    

Bobby Nelson wrote:
wow bOb, I used to have a Tube Rotosphere. I loved it. A great way to avoid hauling around a Leslie 122.

It emulates the cabinet and tube overdrive as well as the two rotating elements. Plus it sounds good in mono. I like it a lot!

Julian Goldwhite

Alhambra, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:12 am    

I built this switcher box to address the effects issue as a pedal steel playing utility musician. The Hammond enclosure's top 3 switches toggle between different instruments (psg, guitar/lap steel and dobro/banjo depending on gig, etc. The bottom 3 switches are 3 true bypass loops; I find one delay, one distortion and one modulation (plus ebow and some extended musical techniques) give me enough textural variety to make for good tonal building blocks in my live music production. The box clips to my right rear leg with two heavy duty broom clips.

Best,

Julian

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 6:10 pm     I made a little effects table today

I use a Boss GT-001, and because of its weird size, I've had trouble finding a convenient place to put it. I made this nice little table that slides in at the top of the legs, then grabs as it drops down.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 8:28 pm    

I just replaced my Rotosphere with a Strymon Lex. Wow - what a great sound! I'm in heaven. Here's what my pedalboard looks like now:

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 10:29 am    

I've regressed considerably over the last year... this is it, one DD-3 on the amp, and the Quilter has a DC jack on the back, so not even a wall wart.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 2:07 pm    

Bill Terry wrote:
I've regressed considerably over the last year... this is it, one DD-3 on the amp, and the Quilter has a DC jack on the back, so not even a wall wart.

Bill, I like your thinking. All I use in the way of effects other than the amp's onboard reverb is a bit of delay on some songs. And like yours, mine sits on the amp where I can easily punch it in and out or tweak it as needed.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 8:24 am    

Quote:
All I use in the way of effects other than the amp's onboard reverb is a bit of delay on some songs.

Same here, and I'm really fond of the Quilter verb. The 3 control setup with Dwell and Tone added make it really flexible.

After a lot of effects processing experiments, I've decided that I'd be better off to spend the time and money on lessons.. Smile

Cody Russell

Arkansas, now in Denver
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 2:42 pm    

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 1:43 pm    

I use a small pedaltrain board. I just put the board on top of the case and my tuner on the steel leg.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89