The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White Music City Tonight Videos
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 1:27 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
The downloading of copyrighted material from the internet is still illegal.

http://www.webster.edu/technology/service-desk/illegal-downloading

Thanks for the Buzz Kill, Rich!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 8:14 pm    

GARBAGE?? Shame on you Damir, It made her $15,000,000.00 a year and you call it a bad name,ha! I don't know what to call it but I can't get .15 cents for my steel playing. Somethings wrong with this picture. J.R. Rose

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 10:20 pm    

I'm still missing something here, if a song is put onYoutube for instance and I view or download.. It is now mine as far as I'm concerned, that is if I didn't down load for profit. Now that's a different story. I don't know who put Tommys on YouTube but they were recorded right off the mixer so must have been some one inside the organization and they and the organization must have known about it so as far as I'm corncerned, they were ours then, the one swho downloaded and watched. Now if they downloaded for their own personal use, how could it possibly take money from anyone's pocket? I don't think there are any steel player selling stuff they have down loaded off the net, it for our personal use so no laws are broken.
To me, that's about like a cop pulling me over for watching some guy speeding down interstate, and giving me the ticket because I saw him.
I don't understand the laws on copyrights and guess I never will. What if I bought a new steel that had a copyright on the changer, can I not play it out, can I not show it to so, one. Maybe I'm being out of context but just seems that way to me.
Why was Weldons set cut out at St Louis on steel radio one year. All he was doing was playing tunes, how could that possible infringe on a copy right. Oh well, back to square one and really gonna miss Tommys videos. Some of the greatest playing on this planet, especially the Orange Blossum Special. Out of this world.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 5:49 am    

If you guys replace the word song with cheeseburger on your posts you may get a more clear perspective on the concept of copywrite laws.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 6:48 am    

Quote:
What if I bought a new steel that had a copyright on the changer, can I not play it out, can I not show it to so, one. Maybe I'm being out of context but just seems that way to me.

Henry, you could play it. Loan it out. Sell it or give it away. You just can't reproduce it.

Pretty sure Tommy's stuff was recorded from the up-loaders home. Either way, still illegal to upload or download copy written material to or from the net. Publishing company's want to get paid every time one of their songs is performed live or recorded. At least that's the way I understand it it. As for TV. I guess the producers of the show own it. Not sure if the performers get any cut of the money or not? Pretty sure the publishing Co's would be looking for their cut.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 7:27 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
Quote:
What if I bought a new steel that had a copyright on the changer, can I not play it out, can I not show it to so, one. Maybe I'm being out of context but just seems that way to me.

Not sure if the performers get any cut of the money or not? Pretty sure the publishing Co's would be looking for their cut.

If the recording was done on your musicians union card the players do receive a cut. It can be quite a bit of money over time. Publishing companies pay the writers/copywrite holders. They also funded all those demo sessions that used to feed 90% of the session players in Nashville's families before file sharing.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 7:30 am    

It would be nice if whoever took the time and effort to take Tommy's clips down would repackage them for sale, instead of just locking them away.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 8:06 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
I'm still missing something here, if a song is put onYoutube for instance and I view or download.. It is now mine as far as I'm concerned, that is if I didn't down load for profit. Now that's a different story. I don't know who put Tommys on YouTube but they were recorded right off the mixer so must have been some one inside the organization and they and the organization must have known about it so as far as I'm corncerned, they were ours then, the one swho downloaded and watched. Now if they downloaded for their own personal use, how could it possibly take money from anyone's pocket? I don't think there are any steel player selling stuff they have down loaded off the net, it for our personal use so no laws are broken.
To me, that's about like a cop pulling me over for watching some guy speeding down interstate, and giving me the ticket because I saw him.
I don't understand the laws on copyrights and guess I never will. What if I bought a new steel that had a copyright on the changer, can I not play it out, can I not show it to so, one. Maybe I'm being out of context but just seems that way to me.
Why was Weldons set cut out at St Louis on steel radio one year. All he was doing was playing tunes, how could that possible infringe on a copy right. Oh well, back to square one and really gonna miss Tommys videos. Some of the greatest playing on this planet, especially the Orange Blossum Special. Out of this world.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for those who own the copyright, it is against the law. Doesn't matter what you, or I, think about it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 8:26 am    

I think we're just spoiled with all this free stuff on YT.

I think folks may have forgotten that they need the owner's permission to post anything not in the public domain.

There seems to be some undue feeling of entitlement with these music videos. I understand the owner's position. It's their prerogative whether to allow posting and viewing or not. They don't need a reason. It's theirs.

Property is property...product, service, etc. I mean, you wouldn't expect to get a six pack of your favorite beverage for free, or an artist's CD for free would you?

If someone hadn't produced and paid royalties and salaries to the various artists, employees, agencies etc. they would never have been aired on TV for us to see in the first place.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 8:57 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
As I was saying. They, (Many of our favorite clips.) will likely all be gone before long. Don't want to encourage anyone to break any laws. Just stating my opinion.

Now a question. Is it not illegal for sites such as Mickey's that teach songs or parts of songs illegal? Is it not illegal when folks post themselves on youtube playing their favorite county western tune? Aren't songs considered public domain after maybe 50 years are so? Is it illegal to upload those to? Just curious. Someone educate me.

Thanks b.

Technically, Unless an instructor has recieved permission from the copyright holder, they can not use the material. There is an exemption called "fair use" that music teachers can use in a classroom setting. But that is complicated. In all the stuff I have read about copyright law, I have never seen a distinction between a classroom or an internet lesson (other than the word 'classroom'), so I am not sure about the legality of posting lessons online. I would imagine there's some type of infringement. I have spent many hours studying copyright laws, but I am not an attorney. Something to remember is, the composer of the song owns the copyright to the composition. The performance of that song is copyrighted by the performer, record company, or.... that performance copyright, I believe, includes all licks and such on the record.

Here is a good link on the pulic domain. But basically, any tune before 1922 is in the public domain. Copyrights last a long, long time.
Quote:
Essentially ALL Sound Recordings are under copyright protection until 2067 in the United States.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 4:54 pm    

I don't understand. Back when the cassette recorder and audio tape recorder. We would call our friendly local radio station and ask the personality on the air if they would play a song that we would like and record it from the air. And nothing was said about this. Now days we go on line and try to down load it and the POPO is at our door.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 5:17 pm    

Tommy Shown wrote:
I don't understand. Back when the cassette recorder and audio tape recorder. We would call our friendly local radio station and ask the personality on the air if they would play a song that we would like and record it from the air. And nothing was said about this. Now days we go on line and try to down load it and the POPO is at our door.

its called greed my friend, pure old fashion, human greed....

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 9:01 pm    

Damir,
Explain who is greedy. I'm not sure if you are referring to listeners who don't want to pay for things or musicians and writers who want to get paid at some point.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 9:06 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Damir,
Explain who is greedy. I'm not sure if you are referring to listeners who don't want to pay for things or musicians and writers who want to get paid at some point.

its a video of steel guitar for a God sake, not a Beatles reunion concert ...

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 9:46 am    

Tommy Shown wrote:

It was still illegal back then. Did you actually tell the DJ you were going to record it (not that it mattered - he probably didn't have any liability). This is not a new thing because of the internet. We have always had the right to record a tape (or now CD or Mp3) of a record, or other media, THAT WE ALREADY OWN, for our own listening enjoyment (sarcasm intended). We have already paid for that right.

For a long time it wasn't easily possible to download from YouTube. It's become possible because of the multitude of software available and YouTube converting the video files on their site from flash (I believe) to Mp4. They have lessened their protection.

I do download some videos and songs off YouTube. Mostly live performances that will never be available on DVD or CD. Most likely still not legal. I also will download a video for a song I have to learn for a band, a song I don't like. After I learn it, I delete it. I don't even let it into my music library. If I want a song that I really like, I will use iTunes or Amazon and pay the dollar to legally download the file. That way I don't have to buy the whole record.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 10:47 am    

we are talking here about few short video clips of steel guitar solos, not even complete songs, if anyone can complain is the man who played the solo, Tommy White, and I don't see him losing any big money here, some good publicity more then anything.... I understand protecting some big money making hit songs, or stuff like that, but a few steel guitar solos??? common now.... like I said, human greed all the way...,

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:35 pm    

So if no body pays for the copy fees or the airing fees then there is no fees to be shared,right? So if no uploads or downloads for 20 years no one recieves one dime for 20 years.Correct?