The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hmm
Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 3:20 pm    

Hi folks, I thought I'd better post this while I still have the time. As many of you, my Steel playing started with the straight steel a while back. I admit, I was obsessed with the Pedal Steel In the 1960's with Buck Owens along with Ralph Mooney and Tom Brumley to the extent I was obsessed totally for a good ten years trying to be them and others. I mean obsessed! I fooled with a pedal guitar and Dobro for a few years, going back to my original Flat Top, along with Harvey Small who went back to playing fiddle with the same thoughts on pedal guitar in the mid '80s. We discovered more folks wanted to hear the real Hillbilly stuff. I went back to the straight Steel in the late '90s with a very happy bunch of old performers and audience. We played together until Harv's passing in about 2012. The main reason for this ditty was now that my sun is setting, I spend some time on this worthless internet listening to my old "Favorites"'. Many years ago, as a Charlie Pride fan, he had a song that had real steel playing without gimmicks. Steel playing by Joe Talbot in an era of pedals.
"Gone on the Other Hand". I enjoyed it then, more so now. One foot in the grave, the other on a banana peal! Jay Y.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 7:05 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3qVVC6bMsw

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 10:51 am    

This is terrific! Thank you so much for pointing it out, what a joy to discover something like this. I am just a young-timer compared to you, but I totally love steel playing from way back when music was real. I can very much relate to the part with the obsession. BTW, Joe Talbot was also Kayton Roberts' main influence. Are there other recordings of him backing Charley?