The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Preferred Series 7025/12AX7 Tubes for Steel
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 7:06 pm    

Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever tried the Tubestore's Preferred Series 7025 tubes in a Twin or other tube amplifier used for steel?

I've read some great reviews on these from those who use them for guitar. Here's a link to the website:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Preferred-Series

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 13 Aug 2017 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 10:25 pm    

Interesting, it's a Chinese Shuguang but the design is a lot more classic RCA, GE, etc.

I like and use the more standard Shuguang 12AX7's a lot, and especially for clean circuits, bass, steel, piezo-acoustic, studio, home stereo, etc. I bet these should be killer.

I'll definitely check them out.

B

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 9:21 am     Ps 7025

Brad,

I have two coming in next week that I bought on Ebay. I think I will try them out in V2 & V?? to see how they do. I got them at a great buy, so I thought I'd test them out in my Twin. I'd be interested in hearing how your results compare to mine if you purchase some for experimentation.

I recently bought a NOS RCA Command Series 5751 that's in V-1 right now. An RCA 12AT7 is in V4 in an attempt to control noise (taken from one of Tim Marcus' prior posts)

I'm getting some noise in my Twin and I'm trying to see if the tubes are part of the problem. I'm going to do some experimentation to see how the tubes perform in various positions. What I've learned from this Forum is that V-1 is a key position. The 5751 should provide more clean headroom for steel.

By the way Brad, I bought some 99.99% anhydrous alcohol and cleaned the tube pins and sockets. I got this idea from one of your pasts posts. I felt like I was in a chemical suit to do the job, but got it done. Thanks for the tip! The bottle purchased should last for years at the pace I'm using it.

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 16 Aug 2017 8:07 pm; edited 4 times in total

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 8:28 pm    

I am thinking that replacing the carbon comp resistors in the very first preamp stages with metal film resistors would lower the noise.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 5:15 am    

Steve,

Yes, I've read about doing this too. Right now, I'm going to try the tubes first...something I can do myself.

My Twin has the MV control on it. It's funny, but with the MV contol at 4 and channel #1 at 10, it's pretty quiet even in the bedroom. When I dime the MVC, that's when the noise kicks in...not so much hiss, but more like eggs frying. I wonder if the MVC is the source?

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 12 Aug 2017 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 8:08 am    

Try tapping the pre-amp tubes with something, and see if you can find the bad one that way. Anytime I've had the 'frying bacon' sound, it's been a pre-amp tube... good luck!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 5:07 pm     Noisy Twin

Dave,

Thanks...I'll give that a try.

Don

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 3:56 am     Preferred Series Tubes

Hey Forumites!

The Tubestore has the 7025s on sale right now at 20% off. The sale ends August 31st. This would be a good time to buy if interested.

Also noteworthy are the Preferred Series 6L6s (on sale as well). These, too, have been given great reviews. One of these reviews is from a steel player! It might be a good idea to have some as spares just in case an output tube goes bad.

Thanks for reading...

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 16 Aug 2017 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 10:43 am    

Amazing tubes for steel guitar and prob one of the very clearest and cleanest in a tr!Marty

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 11:13 am     Preferred Series

Thanks Marty! I read your review on the PS 6L6 on the Tubestore website. Sounds like a tube I will be giving serious consideration.

Have you experienced any longevity issues with these tubes? Most of the reviews were quite stellar, but some have stated they don't last as long as they should. What's your experience? Have you used both the 7025 and 6L6?

Don

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 11:52 am     Preferred series tubes

Don the preferred series tubes are excellent imho I have had no issues with either I like a deep Rich bass for steel these power tubes are very rich in the low end more so than most others but have excellent clarity and sustain I highly recommend them both for a tube amp with steel.

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 4:30 pm     7025 tube

I have an old Evans Compactra 100 amp made for steel it has a couple RCA 7025's along wit some 12AX 7, I believe Sylvania among others also made that tube. Jim Goins.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 8:01 pm    

Marty: Thanks for the response...glad to hear this. I feel better about this product with your endorsement as a steel guitarist.

Jim: No question about it--RCA is a great product. If Brad Sarno and others recommends these, then you know they're good!

I like the idea of NOS or even "used-but-tests-strong" tubes. I've purchased two RCAs recently fitting these descriptions. However, with prices ranging anywhere from $50-$100 or more on Ebay, you begin to wonder if a GOOD lower-cost alternative makes better sense? On the other hand, people will tell you the new stuff on the market doesn't last near as long as the old tubes.

I guess I will try both old and new tubes, roll then through the various V positions in my Twin Reverb, and see what happens! It'll be kind of fun to do a little experimentation.

Don

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 9:06 am     Preferred series tubes

I have what is called dog ears these tubes are clearer and cleaner than nos Rca 7025!!! And yes I'm at least two or three nights a week into gigging.

Jerry Kippola

UP Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 5:25 pm    

The reissue Mullard long plate 12ax7 is perhaps the quietest full sounding tube. Extremely low filament hum.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 2:22 am    

My Carvin BX 500 came with an unmarked 12AX7. It failed (started getting some distortion) and I replaced it with a NOS RCA 12AX7. There was a slight but definite improvement. The RCA went bad (started slight distortion like the original tube) after about a year and a half and I put in a new Tung Sol. I can't hear any difference between the NOS RCA and the Tung Sol.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 3:50 am     Re: Preferred series tubes

Marty Holmes wrote:
I have what is called dog ears these tubes are clearer and cleaner than nos Rca 7025!!!

Marty, I might have to try them based on your "dog ears" endorsement!

Have you ever compared them to vintage Sylvania 5751 triple mica tubes? I dropped some ebay coin on a pair of those, best I've ever heard.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 3:54 am    

The most beautiful clean tubes I ever heard with really hi-fidelity crystal clarity were Amperex Bugle Boys. Stunning and to this day my favorite. Just one in V1 was good enough for me.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 5:25 pm    

I have a pair of their (Preferred Series) KT-88's, and I like them quite a bit.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 15 Aug 2017 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 6:53 pm    

"The Holland made Amperex Bugle Boy ECC83 / 12AX7 is one of the most sought after 12AX7 tubes on the planet."
$189.95 @ Tube Depot

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 10:38 am    

Yes, they are very sought-after and expensive, but every now and then you can get lucky. I think I picked up a pair or maybe even 4 for less than $100 6 or 7 years ago.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 3:06 pm     Preferred Series 7025s

I received two of these PS 7025s this week and just purchased a third one on Reverb.

When I get the 3rd tube, I will put these in my Twin and report back with the findings. Here's the plan for the tube placements:

V1: RCA Command Series 5751 NOS (black plates)
V2: Preferred Series 7025
V3: RCA 12AT7 (black plates)
V4: Preferred Series 7025
V5: Preferred Series 7025
V6: JJ 12AT7

Output Tubes: JJ 6L6GCs X4

Stay tuned for more...

Don

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 8:26 pm     Tubes

UPDATE: The 3rd PS 7025 has arrived today.

I also managed to score a Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7A on Ebay for $15 (tested strong). Is there any way to tell if the tube is made in Holland absent the obvious markings...which are pretty worn off and faint to read? For example, some kind of marking between the pins? The shape of the getter? Plates? I was able to see a slight picture of the Bugle Boy, so I know that's what it is! Where else besides Holland was the Bugle Boy manufactured? Would it make much of a difference?

I'm going to clean the pins real good tomorrow or Saturday and start experimenting.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 6:19 pm    

The issue about tubes made these days is the makers are not privy to the needed hard vacuum process technology that American tube makers used and have not shared with the countries still making tubes.

This process makes the tube last longer but is one complex system involving machinery not seen anymore.

If you don't get NOS vintage Made in USA tubes, Chinese tubes seem to be enjoying favor these days. Maybe because China has new equipment.

Svetlana although New Sensor owned seems to be a good smooth tube.

The Preferred series looks to be a filter process rebrand of tested tubes among their stock weeding out the duds.

At least they do the picking for you.

Quote:
Don Mogle said:
I also managed to score a Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7A on Ebay for $15 (tested strong). Is there any way to tell if the tube is made in Holland absent the obvious markings...which are pretty worn off and faint to read? For example, some kind of marking between the pins? The shape of the getter? Plates? I was able to see a slight picture of the Bugle Boy, so I know that's what it is! Where else besides Holland was the Bugle Boy manufactured? Would it make much of a difference?

Here's a clip describing the Amperex Bugle Boy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6d-cZB7DgA

The Philips Miniwatt made in the same factory as the Bugle Boy are similar to the Bugle Boy if you want similar sound of a rare tube.

They should perform the same as they are the same internally.

The Amperex Bugle Boys were made in Heerlen, Holland.

There are fake Bugle Boys made these days.

Tell-tale paint doesn't rub off.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 30 Aug 2017 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 7:25 am    

Thanks Godfrey...

UPDATE: I tried the Preferred Series 7025 in V1, V4, & V5 for a test run. I didn't like it at all in V1. The hot single coil pickup of the Emmons PP drove it into distortion pretty quickly even at bedroom levels. The RCA 5751 went back in immediately.

I left one PS 7025 in V2 for guitar...we'll see how that goes. So far it's OK.

I pulled the PS 7025 from V4 thinking it was picking up some noise. Back in went a JJ 12AX7.

For V5, I used the original Mesa 12AX7A as this position is not as critical and the tube chart actually called for the 12AX7A in this position.

Last edited by Don Mogle on 27 Aug 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total