The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TC Electronicâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay - Settings
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 10:18 pm    

Does anyone use a TC Electronicâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay? They have 3 that they make. I have the middle one. It's the size of a standard "stomp box." They just came out with a Flashback II. If I had known that, I would have waited. I still like this pedal, very much though!

I plan to buy a TC Electronicâ„¢ Hall of Fameâ„¢ Reverb Pedal, as well.

My question, for anyone who uses the flashback delay. I need some advice on settings.
What are good settings, to start off with? The knob positions...& the mini toggle switch. I'm using it MAINLY for added depth, presence...for slower songs. I want to avoid getting a ton of repeats, excessive delays. That's the main reason I wanted a separate delay pedal; to have more control over the delay. I have delay built into my amp...but I needed something within arms reach.

Any advice on good starting point settings, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a tech person, so I'm not "really" sure what each knob actually does, as they don't really explain it very well in the manual...which you have to download. 4 knobs: Delay, Feedback, FX Level, & the type of Delay you choose.

I have a pretty good idea, from experimenting...but, I'm sure there are people that know much more about this, than I do.

Thanks very much.

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 3:33 pm    

The Flashback is a nice delay pedal. Lots of choices and you can download artist patches from the TC electronics website. The Lo-Fi setting is pretty unique and my choice but try them all.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 12:36 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
The Flashback is a nice delay pedal. Lots of choices and you can download artist patches from the TC electronics website. The Lo-Fi setting is pretty unique and my choice but try them all.

I read the owners manual, a little closer...& I have it at an excellent setting now. It's really an awesome pedal. TC Electronic, is a very good company. All of there pedals, are TRUE BYPASS.

I downloaded a Tone Print, via my computer & a USB cable. I also changed the MOD setting, to a combination delay & chorus. It's pretty cool. Now, for their Hall of Fame - Reverb pedal. They have put out a 'Hall of Fame II' now, also. Does anyone have the new one? If so, how do you like it?

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 4:40 am    

I have the TC Hall of Fame pedal. Very nice also and the plate setting is my choice. The HOF II Reverb I believe is more of an ambient pedal. Ambient type reverbs and Delay pedals are good for playing by yourself or looking for an ethereal vibe but not useful (IMO) if you are playing in a band.

I recently swapped out my HOF Reverb for a Boss RV-6. It has a combination of nice reverbs and although not true bypass it does act as a buffer so you can run longer cords. I also don't like all my pedals true bypass for this reason. Maybe splitting hairs but it's just a preference.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 5:53 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
I have the TC Hall of Fame pedal. Very nice also and the plate setting is my choice. The HOF II Reverb I believe is more of an ambient pedal. Ambient type reverbs and Delay pedals are good for playing by yourself or looking for an ethereal vibe but not useful (IMO) if you are playing in a band.

I recently swapped out my HOF Reverb for a Boss RV-6. It has a combination of nice reverbs and although not true bypass it does act as a buffer so you can run longer cords. I also don't like all my pedals true bypass for this reason. Maybe splitting hairs but it's just a preference.

Did you get rid of your Hall of Fame pedal...or just not using it right now?

As you probably know, there are "dip switches" inside (I believe that's the name for them?). You can switch it off of true bypass if you wish, so it's as if it isn't a True Bypass pedal. You can run longer cables this way. I hope you didn't get rid of the TC!? That's one of there top rated products. I asked TC Electronics if they were going to discontinue the original HOF...& they are. They said the new one can do anything the original did, & much more.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 12:48 pm    

I am keeping my HOF Reverb pedal and I was aware of the dip switches going from true bypass to buffered. I also like the Boss RV-6 as it has a different vibe and fits nicely into my Boss 3 pedal case. To think that 20 years ago to get a quality or delay you need to spend quite a bit and it was only available in a rack mount.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 3:45 am    

[/quote]I also changed the MOD setting, to a combination delay & chorus. It's pretty cool.[/quote]

What settings did you wind up with to do that? Thanks.

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 3:49 am    

My favorite setting is the lofi but for a kick try Gary Lucas' Wayback Machine setting. Crazy! Dan Huff's toneprint is also a pretty good, workman-like toneprint. The new V.2 is very intriguing.

Eamonn O\'Regan

Ireland
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2018 1:44 pm    

I use a tc Flashback mini on the gig. Set the three knobs at c. 10 o’clock for a great delay sound with one repeat for pedal steel. Dial in a little reverb from your amp. It’s simple, straightforward and lets your steel’s tone shine through.
Custom Excel SD-10 3+5 with G L's 10-1, Mullen SD-10 4+4, BJS bar, Dunlop picks, Goodrich Steel Driver, Goodrich 120 pedal, Peterson strobe tuner, tc Flashback delay pedal, Nashville 112 (with Eminence EPS-12"), Jan Sandvik pack-a-seat.

2") and Nashville 400 amps