The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee lever not tuning.
Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 3:06 pm    

Hi guys,

I feel like this must have been addressed somewhere on the forum, but I can't seem to word my search correctly to find a solution. Disclaimer I'm also not much of a mechanical mind so if this is a simple solution in front of my face, I apologize.

I have a good conditioned Mullen G2 that I bought used. I'm probably considered an intermediate level player so most of my playing to date has included use of my A,B,C pedals and my E raise and Lower knee levers on my left knee. While trying to find a melody line I was picking out I noticed I have a full step lower on my 6th string (G# down to F#). I also noticed is was quite out of tune with the F# being sharp and not dropping fully to where it needs to be. So I got my tuning wrench and tried to tune it but it won't effect the note at all. I tried going both ways (left and right) to see if I could get any movement either sharp OR flat and it won't work. However, it got to the point where I tightened it so much it effected the open string which I'm guessing is not a good sign so I losened it off, changed the nylon nut thinking maybe I had stripped it or something, but no luck. When I look underneath the steel I see the pull rod is moving when I engage the lever as it should.

Any one have any tips? Or is this something I may have to take into the shop for?

Thanks for your time.

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 3:52 pm    

I believe that you should back off on THIS screw (the split tuner).

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 3:54 pm    

Here's my guess as to what's going on. Your guitar is equipped with a split on the 6th string lower: it can be used in conjunction with the B-pedal to get a "G" note.

Since there are 3 possible notes using 6th lower and B-pedal raise, there are 3 tuning nuts. The third one in question -- the one you haven't mentioned -- is the allen screw at the end of the changer. UPDATE: I see Jon beat me to it. That's the screw you're looking for.

See page 8 of the owner's manual for the procedure to tuning a split. Pay attention to the order that you follow, since there are dependencies involved. I think this will solve your problem.

Mullen Owner's Manual
http://www.mullenguitars.com/ownersmanual.htm

Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 6:44 am     Thanks

Thanks so much. I will give this a shot!

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.