The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Effect Pedals Power Jack Depth
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 7:25 pm    

I am having a pedal board built. I'm finding out at age 65, there's more to good music besides a guitar, cord, and amp. But what I'm finding out is that there is such a discrepancy, (internet spell suggestion) in the depth a power plug goes into a pedal? May seem little to you. But I almost sent back a brand new Phase Shifter because I thought the jack on a brand new pedal was bad. Look at how far the power plug sticks out of the jack on my new Big Joe Stomp Box Company Phase shifter pedal. Why so far out? I just know from stage vibration it's going to loose contact. Look at my Subdecay Flanger, fits like a glove. Keith's Legend Delay, just slightly out. But Brad's Earth Drive bottoms right out, like I'm use to seeing. Even my Wilson Wah Pedal sticks out of the jack a tad. Why the differences? Maybe I'm concerned over nothing, but I like a plug to fit tight in a jack.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 5:27 am    

If all those pedals are mounted on a board the chances are slim that the power plugs will come out. You should feel them sort of lock in when you plug them in. I have had many kinds and brands of pedals and never had an issue. I would surmise that you are overthinking your project.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 10:48 am    

Thanks Craig, i was told by the manufacturer that it is a depth mounting thing. Those jacks are mounted by hand, and no 2 people do the same thing the same way. They sent me 5 examples, and all 5 were mounted slightly different. They told me at any time during the life of their product they will send FedEx to pick my pedal up, repair it free, for any manufacturing issues. I was curious more then anything i guess. Thanks

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 11:39 am    

Not all DC power plugs/jacks are the same length/depth either.

If you've every shopped for those plugs, they come in not only different inside (pin) and outside (barrel) diameters, they also come in different lengths, and there isn't really a 'standard' length, from what I've seen. If I'm ordering plugs, I try to get a replacement plug that is the same length (or close to) as the original.

Probably better for the plug to be just a tad bit long -- leaving a little sticking out of the jack -- than too short, and not fully inserted. Ideally, it would be 'just right' of course!

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 4:49 pm    

It comes down to wherever the pedal builder happens to source their female power jacks from.

I have noticed this difference in the many pedals I have had, but have never had one come loose, whether the pedal was mounted to a pedalboard or just sitting on the floor.