The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Glen Campbell
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 12:54 pm    

Thanks for that Link Barry, its been a tough last few days.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 5:32 pm    

What can I say? I watched him on Shindig, heard him on the 12 string album at the Record Shop my Dad managed in '65 or '66ish got blown away by "Gentle on my Mind", loved all the Jimmy Webb stuff........he was a real hero and still is...RIP my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDw1sx0_vDw

Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 7:18 pm    

In the mid 80's I was working the repair counter of a custom A.V. shop in Phoenix and this guy comes up with a dual cassette deck needing repair. I told him that he looked a lot like Glen Campbell and he laughed and told me that he gets that all the time.
Of course it was Glen and he couldn't have been nicer. He sad he just got back from a Razorback game and reaches into his pocket and gives me this beautiful lighter with the Razorback logo on it.
I don't know... Just a little story of meeting one of the best guitar pickers ever.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 6:18 am    

This was a very unexpected tribute and remembrance of Glen from his friend .... Alice Cooper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6q2hsdXenQ

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 7:16 am    

Steve Pawlak wrote:
I don't know... Just a little story of meeting one of the best guitar pickers ever.

I'm sure there are thousands of stories like yours and mine. Thanks for the share.

Andy Volk, that is definitely an unexpected twist. Who knew? And now try to imagine Glen and Al shooting a round on the links in Scottsdale...

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 8:11 am    

Alice's tribute was fine, Andy.

we're not worthy...

Steve amazing story.. felt like I was there...

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 9:23 am    

Here's a nice tribute from Matt Sweeney, a younger generation of guitar slingers:
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/08/11/542656133/glen-campbell-made-me-a-professional-guitar-player?sc=17&f=1039&utm_source=iosnewsapp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=app

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 12:10 am    

I debated a long time about whether or not to post this story, simply because I didn’t want the focus to be placed anywhere but on this giant of a talent. Like many of you on this forum, Glen was a huge part of our household. My dad wanted complete silence in the living room each week as we watched the Goodtime Hour, and I was totally glued to the TV each time it aired. Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, and Merle Haggard were my introductions to the audio world of Country Music, but Glen Campbell was my visual introduction to Country Music. I remember trying to learn By The Time I Get To Phoenix on keyboard, I was in love with Jimmy Webb’s melodies. Gentle On My Mind still cuts to the core of my musical soul.

I moved to Nashville in 1990 and was playing on the road with Bryan White in 1996. Bryan was managed by Glen’s management company. We did a lot of TV work back then on TNN, and this particular night we were kept in the dark about what was to happen. None of the band, not even Bryan himself, knew that Glen was in town much less at the studio, much less that he planned to walk on stage to perform with us. The song was Southern Nights, we played it out on the road each and every night. Glen walked on stage literally seconds before the announcer introduced the segment. At the intro, the camera never panned towards me and the baritone guitar player in front of me. He kept turning around looking at me saying, “That’s Glen Campbell….that’s Glen f****** Campbell up here with us.” All I could do was laugh. But internally, I was wondering how in the heck I was gonna get through my solo. I may have looked calm on camera, but I was absolutely petrified and shaking like a leaf. Somehow I managed to pull it together and get through the song and the solo, thankful when it was all over. It was a wonderful experience, but nothing like what happened a month later.

We happened to be playing in Branson and had a night off. We went out to Glen’s theater to watch his show. As many times as I have seen him on television, nothing prepared me for the incredible display of talent that I saw that night. Here was a 60-year old playing guitar better than anyone I ever heard, a voice of pure gold, and a showcase personality that had the crowd eating out of his hands. Here was the real deal, he was phenomenal. After the show, we all went backstage. There was shaking of hands and a lot of small talk with his band and road manager. Glen then stopped talking altogether, pointed straight at me and said, “You are one fantastic musician.” It was as if I got hit with a Taser, I was totally stunned. I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. I was 10 years older than everyone else in the band, and to be singled out in the presence of the younger players in that manner left me feeling totally humbled. We all get compliments from time to time from family, friends, and patrons of the venues we play. But to get a nod from a guy that Eddie Van Halen wanted lessons from (according to Alice Cooper), I felt extremely unworthy….and still do. I remember thinking how I wished my dad could have been there at that moment. It is my most cherished gift from my short tenure in Nashville.

During that year, I got to see Glen on 3 different occasions. He was exactly the same each time. Always in a great mood, always laughing, always animated as if he were a cartoon character. And he was always gracious, genuine, and down to earth.

When it was announced that he had Alzheimer’s and would be making a final tour, I made it a point to go see him one last time. I met up with his road manager Bill at the venue and got to go backstage. Bill told me that the tour was actually part of his therapy. Glen had 3 of his children out on the road with him and they hoped that the progression of the disease would be stunted by keeping family around him as much as possible. His stage set was a semi-circle designed that if he happened to wander a little too far, assistance was close by. He had a huge teleprompter with lyrics.

Alzheimer’s strikes at the short term memory first, then followed by the long term memory. The show we attended was about 1/4 of the way through the year. During his show, he would forget a few lyrics but the teleprompter would remind him. He would walk off a little while playing a solo, and sometimes be just a tad late getting back. But 2 things really shined through for me. During the times he would forget lyrics, he actually used it to comedy advantage much like Mel Tillis used his stuttering. It was amazing to witness his mind working like that. But what was even more amazing was that his long-term memory was still intact like a steel trap. His guitar solos were flawless as if he were playing subconsciously with no thought whatsoever. And when he opened his mouth to sing, it was not the voice of a 70+ year old, but the voice of a 20 year old. He still had that golden voice with the cry within that conveyed more emotion than any singer I ever heard.

I also wanted to add that Glen surrounded himself with a first class organization. His manager, road manager, and band were the best that this industry has to offer. Glen had a great team behind him to ride off in the sunset with.

Being in Glen’s presence was being in the presence of a legend. You just knew it, you just felt it. He was larger than life, and when he was onstage he had total command of the music. There will never be another like him.

Rest In Peace.....and thanks for being the same hero in person that I saw on TV as a young boy.

https://youtu.be/BhUc1v7vElY

Joe Rogers

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 9:01 am    

What a beautiful tribute, Joe. Thanks for posting.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 9:11 am    

+1!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 9:16 am    

+2, enjoyed that very much!!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 11:06 am    

Me 3 Joe... terrific !

Ken Harrison

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 12:04 pm     Glenn Campbell Story

Joe, thank you so much for sharing that with us!That
was awesome to read. I always have said... If I could
learn half of the licks/riffs, that Glenn forgot thirty
years ago... I would be an extremely happy man.

RIP Mr. Glenn Campbell. I am sure the Lord is enjoying
your music, in that Heavenly Band!!

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 3:52 pm    

Fabulous post Joe, Thanks!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 1:36 pm    

Great post Joe, thanks for sharing it. You may know my brother in law, Scott Mcdonald. He played piano for Andy Williams Branson show, which also backed Glen.

Im glad that Glen spent his last years surrounded by loving family. That had to be a great comfort.

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 10:52 pm    

That was awesome Joe. Glenn was bigger than life... Pure poetry in motion on the guitar. I met his son that played drums. Wonderful person. My Mother died of Alzheimers and all I can say is "God Bless their Hearts"

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 9:46 am    

Hey Joe -

Just now reading your remembrance of Mr. Campbell - wow, beautifully done! I think both your dad and Glen would be proud of your work.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 11:03 am    

I have tears in my eyes from reading Joe's post. Here we are a week later and the profound sense of loss I felt at Glen's passing hasn't diminished.

The magical blend of Jimmy Webb's songs and Campbell's soaring vocals can't, in my opinion, ever be equaled. I'm away working a Summer gig and I've been playing his final album, 'Adios', constantly.

I'm terribly sad that I never got the chance to tell him personally how much he meant to me. I saw him in London several times, the first time being in '72. That beautiful voice showcased in front of a full orchestra was something I'll never forget. Another concert (at the London Palladium) also featured a then-unknown in the UK as an 'opener' - none other than Ronnie Milsap. What a night that was!

What a stellar career he enjoyed and what music he has left for us! I feel as though I've lost an intimate friend. Rest in peace, Glen Campbell.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 8:52 am    

I agree with Glen. Amazing solo Joe. Great story. Thanks for sharing.