The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarah Jory's Mansion On The Hill Sound
Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 5:18 pm    

Would anyone happen to know, what Sarah would have been using, other then the EBow, to get the sound on this song she did. It is absolutely beautiful, and I would just like to come close to it. WOW. John Russell has done a magnificent job of tabbing this. Now I have to get an EBow, and what ever else she used. hahaha. I just ordered a new steel, maybe that will do it. Just another joke, not on the order, but making it sound like hers. Share your ideas.
Thanks
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 1:11 am    

Sarah normally plays through a DD3,into Peavey Nashville 112, any time I have seen her play.Have seen her since she was very young on ShoBud, EMCI, Mullen, now using WBS.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 5:14 am    

Malcomb, you are correct.

However, at the TSGA this year, Sarah played through her DD3 and a Telonics amp.

Sounded just like Sarah through a NV112. She just has the touch.

I was happy to see my long time friend again and have the honor to introduce her on stage.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 7:48 am    

Mssed out Excel in the guitar list.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 3:34 pm    

She told me it was the pickup on the WBS gittaaar that gave her that fat tone.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 5:22 am    

Did Sarah Jory go into retirement for several years? It seems like there was a long time when little was heard of her and now we are seeing more of her.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 6:39 am    

I see one on You Tube, Sarah Jory Workshop. Looks like she maybe in retirement. She had several student, but the audio on this is very poor. She has put on some weight, as we all do, but she still plays wonderful.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 6:56 am    

Sarah said she had some serious health problems in 2013.

Last edited by Darrell Criswell on 9 Aug 2017 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 9:38 am    

I think it was totally rude to talk about her weight on here. Do we talk about the weight of Herby Wallace, Jimmie Crawford, John Hughey, and many others? This was disgusting.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 12:10 pm    

Richard, I meant nothing by this. We all put on weight as we get older, she is still a beautiful lady. Sorry I wasn't PC

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 12:36 pm    

This is for Sarah. Sarah if I offended you I am truly sorry. I meant nothing by this. I would give anything, short of my wife and kids, to play like you. You are beautiful and I would welcome here, to my home anytime. I am sorry it became an issue on the Forum. I will no longer make any comments on this from now on. Again, I am sorry.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 3:21 pm    

She played at the Dallas show last year and just killed it. I think she had been thru some some health problems and her Dad passed away. She was a sweetheart and told us she was coming back to the Metroplex I think to play at one of the big clubs. Could be wrong about that.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 7:38 am    

As Bill F. Stated, it was so wonderful to see my friend after so many years. Not only is Sara one of the greatest players on earth, she is one of the finest people on earth and always has time to visit with her fellow pickers. First time I met Sara as in the late 80's I think and she could knock it out of the ball park then. Her sets in Dallas this year just blew me away.
Back to topic, Sara is a master of the Ebow and and her rendition of Mantion On The Hill is next to none.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 7:47 am    

I wish I would have made it to Dallas. The last I saw her, she was about 13 years old. One fabulous player, and yes, one wonderful person. She would take a back set to no one, that is for sure. When she play you can feel that guitar make every note. I love to just watch her. I can only think of what an entertainer she must be.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 10:56 am    

Sarah spent quite a few years working with Van Morrison away from the steel/country scene.She lost her Dad Athur Around that time, then had a serious health problem keeping her away from steel, glad to say she appears to be back to good health, and as others have said did a brilliant set at Dallas this year, was good to speak to her as I had not seen her for a few years.