The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new Clinesmith arrived today :)
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 10:19 am    

This is a great playing, sounding, and looking steel...I am proud to own this one. Smile Beautiful workmanship by Todd. Now I just have to keep practicing to be worthy of owning it-doubt if I will ever reach that point !

Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 10:59 am    

Congratulations, Larry. Nice Deluxe34 too.

Mikiya Matsuda

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 9:19 pm    

Congratulations, Larry! That is one beautiful guitar.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 9:24 pm    

Welcome to the club, Larry!

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 5:23 am    

Thanks for the responses guys...the more I play it, the more I love it ! I am lucky to be able to have one. Mikiya, I would love to come to San Fran to listen to you play in person...I love the sound of your group Alcatraz Islanders !
Its on my bucket list for sure. Our guitars must have been in Todd's shop at the same time !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 6:29 am    

Nice guitar Larry, when will it be For Sale? Laughing

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 9:03 am    

Fred, good to hear from you and nice to know you are doing well ! For Sale ???? Me ????

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 6:59 am     Congratulations, Larry.

Congratulations, Larry.
I got my Clinesmith a few weeks ago and it's the best lap steel I ever played.
Doubt I'll ever play well enough for it too.
Have a great time playing it. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 8:09 am    

Thanks Andy...I have to be honest, I really didnt think it would sound any better than my Fender Custom T8, or the Rickenbacker for that matter (and I love both of those steels) but it does !!
The more I play it, it just amazes me at the tone of this guitar...I dont see any reason I would want another steel, other than maybe having another Clinesmith ! Smile I had him send it tuned to A6th and I am really glad that I did. I really like that tuning a lot. Who knows, maybe down the road I will get another one of his, but for now...this is all I need and I have a lot of work to do to get to the point where my playing deserves having such a fine instrument. But, it is an inspiration to play, so hopefully improvement will come with time and practice ! Smile

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 9:16 am     Agree 100%

I agree 100% with everything you said.
I also have mine with A6th, but the bottom string is E instead of F#.
Never played a better sounding guitar, and the string spacing is oh so perfect!
Hardly touched any of my other steels since I got this. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 11:51 am    

Another vote here. I have the ten string version and it is incredible. Congrats!!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 2:32 pm     A6th & C6th, Same same but different!

BTW Larry,
A6th & C6th, Same same but different!
C6 also has the E on top so you only need to make a slight change to be in that tuning;

E == 0 == E
C# = - == C
A == 0 == A
F# = + == G
E == 0 == E
C# = - == C
A == 0 ==A
E == + == F

When I have some tab in C6th with the E on top I just retune the A6.
The string gauges are close enough to work just fine in both.
You can also get to an E7th without much change; E B G# E D B E Top to bottom.

Then I don't need to think so much to transpose. Just learn the tune and go back to A6th. Shocked

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 2:49 pm    

Thanks for the help...I have been using A6th for several years now and I just like the more mellow sound of that tuning over the C6th...on my T8 I have both with G on top on the C6th...redundant I know, but I just like it that way.
Some tunes that I have played for years on C6th (Sleepwalk, and Apache, for example)and to my ears sound better on C6th and for those I use it, but otherwise I am pretty well bonded with A6th. I am weird, what can I say Smile
Thanks again and keep on pickin !!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 5:24 pm     I like A6th best too

I like A6th best too for much the same reason.
Another advantage is that I have my pedal steels set up with two pedals that make it a complete A6th across all ten strings as well as the usual E9th A&B pedals.

Also because of that, anything I learn on the lap steels will transfer to the PSG's.
Most of all is that I still have difficulty relating to having the E stuff on the 4th fret in C6th.

Somehow, E9th and A6th just seem more natural to me after so many years of 6 string guitars, Bass & PSG.

I do have one D-10 with the standard C6th on the back neck, but I think I may want to change that to an A6th also. Just makes more sense to me, so maybe I'm simple minded?
Rolling Eyes Laughing Very Happy

I've also played around with the A diatonic tuning on my Fender Duel 8 going from Low E to High E and like it a lot. I may have Todd put that on the front neck of the T-8 he will finish for me in the spring.
Then I'd have A6th on the back neck and E7th on the middle neck until such time as he can proving pedals for that too. Once pedals are available again, I'd switch to E9th on the middle neck.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 7:05 am    

Congrats

Nice instrument!!!!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 8:27 am    

Thanks Mark, and thanks to you a great stand as well !