The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Micropro Mach 2 10" settings
kbdrost

Prospect Heights, IL
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:52 pm    

Is anybody using one of these for steel? This was recommended to me as a lightweight option for small gigs and sessions. It sounds very interesting, but the EQ options are incredibly confusing. I thought my Evans EQ was difficult! That is a snap by comparison. My question is: If you are using this, how are you setting the options? On big gigs I play through either a '66 Twin or a '64 Vibroverb, both with JBL speakers, so that's the tone I'm looking for.

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 1:38 pm    

I don't use the MicroPro Mach 2, but I use the Pro Block 200 (for steel, guitar and lap steel).

I'd try the "FullQ" voicing first - it's what's in both the Steelaire and Pro Block 200. Also, you might try the "Surf" voicing - it's supposedly the most Fender-like voicing they have (and it also appears on their Mini 101 Reverb). IME, the FullQ is Fender-like, but tilts toward a clean Hiwatt sound (in my very limited Hiwatt experience!).

I usually have the limiter at half-way (12 o'clock), no high cut set, and gain at ~9-10 o'clock. EQ to taste of course.

That works for me on the Steelaire and Pro Block, so if the controls operate the same you might have luck trying those settings. I'll note that the speaker seems to have a significant impact on the tone produced, and I'm guessing the speakers in your unit are bias'd toward producing a traditional electric guitar pop-rock tone (maybe Celestians?) Since the Pro Block I gig with is just a head, I'm always running it through either a TT speaker or the 12" Telonics speaker. I have tried it through a 4x12 Mesa cab (no idea what speakers were inside) and it still sounded good - but that was in a small practice space.

Good luck!

kbdrost

Prospect Heights, IL
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 10:23 am    

Thanks, Josh. By messing around with it, I basically came to the same conclusions. I have been A/B-ing it with my Twin and am actually very pleased. This has a Celestion G-10 speaker that is billed as being "more vintage" "chewier" and "rounder" with an emphasis on the low end, and it seems to perform as advertised. I am using either the "FullQ" or "Surf" voicings (I agree FullQ is more "Hiwatt") with the EQ set B/M/T at 11:30, 1:00 and 2:30 respectively. Gain at 10:00. I don't use the limiter. I actually thought that only worked on Channel 2, but I will re-read the manual.

My problem with solid state amps is that they don't break up and so I generally have to use some effect to try and replicate that sound. This seems to approximate it pretty well with no help. At 20 pounds, it is worth whatever sound trade-off occurs for the sake of my back.