The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CLOSE GOT HELP....Help with overall height...im 6'4
Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:46 pm    

Hey yall...i cant seem to get a one inch clearance for my knees (maybe i should get flags that stick out my steel....a eaely stage one (says zumsteel)

I rather have my steel not tilting like some players do

Last edited by Daniel Stein on 9 Aug 2017 5:58 pm; edited 3 times in total

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:54 pm    

Delbert, sounds like you need a 1" lift kit for the legs & rods. Steel Guitars Of Nashville can fix you up, here's their website. Tell them I sent you.
http://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com/

Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 1:01 pm    

Fred Justice wrote:
Delbert, sounds like you need a 1" lift kit for the legs & rods. Steel Guitars Of Nashville can fix you up, here's their website. Tell them I sent you.
http://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com/

It already has adjustable legs...but ill check em out

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 1:06 pm    

I'm 6'3" and my Justice Pro Lite came with an additional 1" leg, works fine. Fred Justice did a great job, love my Pro Lite.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 1:51 pm    

Delbert, adjustable legs only let you gain height on the back, the "tilt" you mentioned. A lift kit includes some sort of spacer to keep the pedal bar in position when you extend the leg, and either longer pedal rods or pedal rod extenders to keep the pedal flat and at a usable height.

You need the kit, honest. Speaking as a tall guy!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 2:59 pm    

I'm 6'4" and every steel I've played (eight in total) have all been 2" over standard. I lengthen the legs and buy 2" rod extenders. I always set my guitar up level, never tilted. You can get the rod extenders on the Forum and it is very easy to raise the guitar, 2 hours tops, including adjusting all the pedals to your favored height.

Carter built a custom steel for me and had me do all the measurements...2" over.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 3:21 pm    

I think I have a 1" and a 1 1/2" lift kit I let you have. Let me check and see if I can find them.

Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 4:24 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I think I have a 1" and a 1 1/2" lift kit I let you have. Let me check and see if I can find them.

Thanks man! Let me know..

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 9:01 pm    

I have clearance problems too. Long legs from knee down. I machine spacers for the front legs and long hexes or add extenders for my Emmons pedal rods if they have the tie rod ends. Then with the taller Pac a seat I still have my forearm angled up to play because my arm from shoulder to elbow is long. Nothing ever fits.
Mcmaster Carr has the spacers and rod extenders on their site too. Look for aluminum tube for the spacers and standoffs for the rod extenders.

Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 6:35 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
I have clearance problems too. Long legs from knee down. I machine spacers for the front legs and long hexes or add extenders for my Emmons pedal rods if they have the tie rod ends. Then with the taller Pac a seat I still have my forearm angled up to play because my arm from shoulder to elbow is long. Nothing ever fits.
Mcmaster Carr has the spacers and rod extenders on their site too. Look for aluminum tube for the spacers and standoffs for the rod extenders.

Going to lowes tommorrow

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 5:42 pm    

I have a Stage One and had a issue with height when I used the volume pedal and with certain shoes. What solved my issue was putting PVC end caps under the front legs. It added about 1/2 to 1-inch height and didn't disrupt the pedals. For me this was just enough clearance. I just wanted to offer this as a cheap, quick option to investigate.

Daniel Stein

Glen Allen, Virginia, US
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 5:57 pm    

Ken Boi wrote:
I have a Stage One and had a issue with height when I used the volume pedal and with certain shoes. What solved my issue was putting PVC end caps under the front legs. It added about 1/2 to 1-inch height and didn't disrupt the pedals. For me this was just enough clearance. I just wanted to offer this as a cheap, quick option to investigate.

Thanks I did that and rod extenders