44%
 44%  [ 30 ]
Digital spring reverb emulation
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Digital hall or plate emulation
37%
 37%  [ 25 ]
Stand alone spring reverb (Fender or Demeter, e.g.)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Digital delay only
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Convolution reverb
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 67

Author Topic:  Reverberation
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:43 am    

There are some extremely fine digital reverb units out now that, with some informed programming techniques, can produce very realistic concert hall simulations with very beautiful characteristics. The real sense of space is stunning.

But surprisingly I find that good old real spring reverb is what gives guitar and pedal steel guitar the most life and beauty. Also, going to a strong stereo panorama too early in the production chain or live can ruin the intimacy of the sound field. A spring reverb or a real plate reverb has an amazing ability to envelop the instrument in a way that doesn't complete with the original signal but integrates better with it.

Any comments or ideas?

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:49 am     The Verbs.

I actually use both Fender amp and a Fender Tube Reverb unit. One for guitar and one for Pedal Steel.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:51 am    

Interesting. Are both instruments playing through the same amp, so that you have different reverb settings for each?

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 1:32 am    

It depends on what kind of music you're playing. For Surf, where you want some major "drip", a stand alone is perfect. For honky-tonk, just a touch of tube driven built-in spring. More modern country, digital delay...etc. etc.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 2:17 am    

I use a POD X3, for effects only. I use the spring reverb model and the digital delay model. I'm using a Carvin BX500 amp and there are no effects built in.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 5:06 am    

I prefer real spring reverb built into an amp. But the reverb in my Nashville 400 doesn't work and I have had to use reverb pedals for some time now. I've been using a MarkBass head lately, and it doesn't have built-in verb.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 6:16 am    

Hall Reverb and there are tons of great ones to choose from. The only spring reverb I cared for was the Webb 6-14-E with original tank. The Princeton/Deluxe Reverbs were good also. I just like the smoothness and depth of the Hall Reverb plus the fact that more adjustments are available on Hall units than most spring reverbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 6:50 am    

Sole-Mate from Van Amps.

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 9:03 am    

i tried to choose spring in amp, spring alone and digital pedal but i can only choose one.

i have a 65 fender spring and a 67 super, 66 deluxe and 67 pro with built in. any of the above works for me.

i also have a separate pedalboard with the strymon big sky which is a great sounding reverb pedal.

so, it depends usually upon my mood.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:45 pm    

Boss RV-6 plate and just a tad not real wet.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 1:22 pm    

As a recording engineer in the 70s I was brought up with real echo plates and I like the sound, with of course a small delay to emulate the first reflection.

I use a Behringer DR400, maybe not as good as a Boss, but good enough for me Smile

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 4:00 pm    

I prefer the spring reverb in the amp. Outboard reverb units sound "detached" to me. I think the reverb circuit in the amp is part of what gives it it's tone, especially the high end.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 6:08 pm    

Real Fender Spring Reverb for me. In a Deluxe or Twin Reverb, or in an external Fender Spring Reverb Unit. Yeah, Buddy! Cool

This is strictly a matter of personal taste. But if you want the classic sound of pedal steel in the 1960s and 70s, that's the sound, IMHO.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 4:52 am    

I use amp verb when I can, but on occasion I get on a stage (trailers are notorious) that is too bouncy, so I carry an EH Holy Grail pedal for backup. I'm pretty much done with the rack multi-effect processors I think. Too much 'processing'.. Smile

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 5:51 am    

I'm wondering if putting a Demeter RV-1D into a Telonics TCA500 combo rack space would be the ultimate way to go rather than the usual digital unit. The RV-1D is expensive but so is the Telonics equipment.

The word on the street is that the RV-1D is particularly sweet sounding and gives more of a plate type of sound compared to most spring reverbs. There are 2 tanks so you can have either a very rich mono sound or stereo output.

I do use convolution reverb a bit and it can sound fabulous. But I like being able to modify a hall's character most of all if a hall is what I'm after.

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 1:19 pm    

I use a Demeter preamp sometimes playing bass. Great stuff...not cheap. On the topic of reverb... I'm with the poll majority. I dig the Fender on board reverb with a SF Vibrolux Reverb or Deluxe Reverb. But BTW lately on PSG I've been enjoying the Neubauer "Wet Reverb" using a Black Box in front of it then going to a solid state PSG amp.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 1:50 pm    

I'm a fan of all of the options given. For the real world, it's nice having a Strymon Flint around. I've learned that I can't count on the spring and tremolo circuits working all the time in my old amps. Especially when they have to ride in a trailer.