The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another funny story about Whit Taylor
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 1:29 pm    

Back when I was playing in Sioux Falls, SD and Whit lived there also we had some good times. I have no idea how many knew this but Whit had an IQ that went off the charts and Whit was Whit. We had been close friends for years. He hated country music and re fused to play a country song. For some reason he did like the Cajun Steel an wanted me to show him how to play it. Now to back up some he had been coming over to the house and showing me very completed chord progressions. He would put his chair close to mine and kick it every time I made a mistake. (which was often) and say get it right and make me do it again.
now for the fun part as most know Cajun Steel was a simple song to play and he just could not grasp it . So every time he didn't get it I would kick his chair and say get it right. He finally said when he was teaching me something he had to be more patient as what he played was easy for him and what I played was easy for me. At least he was honest. About all we talked about was music and comic books. We even went to Canada and he picked out the comics for me to buy from the comic dealer we went to. I later sold some in Seattle for 100.each.

I still miss that guy. Tracy

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 1:51 pm     Whit Taylor

Tracy, You may have seen these before, but in case you have not, here is a young Whit.

Best regards, Jay Thompson

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 2:27 pm     Picture of Whit.

Yes I have seen it and thanks. He looks about like when we first met I used to have some pictures of Whit and I but they have been lost over the years. I have no idea what year we first met but think it was the same year fire was discovered. Tracy Very Happy

Landon Jarrel

Space
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2023 9:08 pm    

Old thread, yet worth sharing this new-to-me performance of Whit Taylor on TV - he takes a solo at the 11min55s mark! https://youtu.be/XgjS9w2q5HI?t=716

Just one solo and his talent becomes readily appreciable!

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2023 9:48 pm    

The bass player in the photo is Fred Jack. Fred is a friend of mind and I first saw him in 1965 when he looked like that. He has always told me stories about Whit but I was never able to meet him. I think he left Colorado Springs in about that time frame.

Fred I hope you see this.

George