The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with buying a Telonics TCA500 amp
Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 9:01 am    

Send money! Just kidding.

I posted this earlier in a reply to another post, but thought I might get more comments in this section.

I'm thinking about buying one of these amps and an trying to decide about the G major efx. My goal would be to eliminate my pedal board to make travel and set up easier. However, I like to have an overdrive pedal in the chain which would mean I'd still have to have an external pedal for that. However, the G major manual says this:

Channel Switching
Changing your sound from a crisp, dry rhythm sound to an overdriven lead sound will (in addition to changing your effects preset) often involve switching your preamp’s or combo’s channels. If you want to switch amp channels via MIDI, you will normally need to purchase a separate MIDI switching system. Not so with G-Major 2. With G-Major 2’s built-in Relay Switch, you can switch between up to four channels on your preamp/combo.

My question, is this possible with the TCA-500? It is my understanding there is only one input channel (nothing to switch to).

My other questions are related how easy is the G major to use and program. I looked over the manual, but I'm not a technical guy, especially now that I'm getting old. I once bought a Strymon Timeline but sold it shortly thereafter because it was too complicated (for me). Plus, not sure I would use all the effects that are available for pedal steel. Guitar maybe, but I don't play guitar very much anymore.

Is it possible to just use and be happy with the presets that are already programmed?

Is changing or creating new presets pretty intuitive?

Anyone gotten the G major and then thought they could have gotten by without it and/or continued to use external pedals?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 11:21 am    

Stephen..If you can locate a 'Bosstone' or "Hiltone' (Keith Hilton's version) it may solve your problem. Both units are designed to be plugged directly into the end plate jack on the steel. Wheel style controls (volume and degree of overdrive) are located within easy reach on the top of the unit and it is activated by flipping a switch on the front. Battery powered so no external power supply required.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 11:53 am    

From page 25 of the Telonics TCA-500 manual. See in particular item iii) below:

Aux Input
(Stereo)

The Auxiliary Input on the rear panel accepts a ¼” stereo or monaural plug and may be used to inject audio from a CD, MP3 player or other line level source, for home practice or live gigs. Use the Aux (stereo)
Level control on the front panel to set the desired music level. The Aux Input provides a secondary input to the amplifier that sums into the system such that it can be heard via the headphones, main speaker and
XLR Direct Out. The Aux Input is a stereo ¼” TRS Jack input; signals
fed via this input in stereo will remain in stereo when fed out to the stereo
Headphones jack. Signals fed via this input are summed to a mono signal before being fed to the speaker and XLR Direct Out. This input can be used in one of three ways:

i) A CD / MP3 Player connected to the Aux Input will allow tracks to beplayed for practice and small gigs.

ii) An additional effects processor output can be returned via this input.

iii) A guitar effects unit output can be connected into this input, enabling the amplifier to be used for both steel and guitar. Note; this input is optimized for a 0dB line level signal.

Note; Signals applied to the Aux Input will be analog modelled whenoutput from the Direct Out.

You can read a copy of the manual here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Amp/TCA-500%209289B.pdf

You should also contact Dave or Sophie directly at Telonics to discuss your needs! They are very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 4:05 pm    

Hi Stephen

I have a TCA500 with the G-Major efx unit installed and it's outstanding ...I'm not a fan of pedal boards for PSG and personally I use the Telonics Handy Patch midi controller to setup my patches. The added benefit is that you can also change the parameters within a patch on the fly as your playing - without getting up out of your seat. You can also include the Dobro effect which is built in to the Amp as one of your patches so toggling back and forth from one efx patch to the other is a breeze. You will see from the pic of my Zum Hybrid that I also use the Sarno Earth Drive as my go to overdrive unit, mine has a leg clamp and a toggle switch so it's all there at my fingertips. No pedal board required :-}

The patches which Telonics pre-programme into the G-major are really good, and are a great starting point should you want to customise them a bit.

The Handy Patch also comes with a great instruction manual which is really easy to digest !! I can certainly recommend this unit - and the amp itself is outstanding.

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:24 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Hi Stephen

I have a TCA500 with the G-Major efx unit installed and it's outstanding ...I'm not a fan of pedal boards for PSG and personally I use the Telonics Handy Patch midi controller to setup my patches. The added benefit is that you can also change the parameters within a patch on the fly as your playing - without getting up out of your seat. You can also include the Dobro effect which is built in to the Amp as one of your patches so toggling back and forth from one efx patch to the other is a breeze. You will see from the pic of my Zum Hybrid that I also use the Sarno Earth Drive as my go to overdrive unit, mine has a leg clamp and a toggle switch so it's all there at my fingertips. No pedal board required :-}

The patches which Telonics pre-programme into the G-major are really good, and are a great starting point should you want to customise them a bit.

The Handy Patch also comes with a great instruction manual which is really easy to digest !! I can certainly recommend this unit - and the amp itself is outstanding.

Hey Paddy, thanks for the input. I have an earth drive, too. How are you running it? Is it between the volume pedal and the amp or are you running it directly into the amp somehow?
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 12:13 am    

Hi Stephen, The TCA500 (and the PRE-1000) has a pre-EQ effects send. So you could put the overdrive unit in between the send and return. You could then put the overdrive into one of the G Major switched channels and the raw pre-EQ send in the alternate channel so that the G Major would switch between clean and driven.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 1:36 am    

I am using a Sarno Solar Flare for more serious distortion.
Also use the Telonics Mini rack with 2 Telonics cabinets w/15 inch speakers.
I run distortion before volume pedal then straight into channel one in the front of Pre-1000

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sf.html