The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 2nd string won't lower fully - SOLVED
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 3:05 am    

Okay, looks like it's going to be too difficult to find my specific problem on a forum search... So, here it is...

GFI Ultra D10... I just changed strings (same brand and gauges)... But, when I try to tune the 2nd string lower it will only lower to D and not all the way to C#. The strange thing is that it reaches D right when it should, when the 9th string lower engages. But then, the 2nd string rod continues the pull with no further pitch change. It's very odd, it 'looks' like it's working. But, I suppose that maybe the string-side of the finger is binding?

Everything worked properly with the previous strings. Anyone ever encounter this?

Last edited by Jeff Harbour on 31 Aug 2017 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 5:30 am    

Does this also have a raise for the 2nd string? My wife's Expo S-10 both raises and lowers the 2nd string (standard from the factory). Maybe the raise is causing the problem? Back off nylon tuner for the raise and see if the lower will work.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 6:34 am    

Thanks Jack, I'll look into that.

To simplify the explanation of my problem... The pitch remains constant for the last half of the lever travel.

Until now I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 7:26 am    

if you don't have a split screw in the 2nd string finger you will probably notice that the raise scissor is starting to pull away from the changer stop when the note stops lowering creating a tail chasing event. 3 common reasons-
the pull rod has been moved to the lowering hole closer to the changer axle or
the return spring has become too tight (did you tighten it up for some reason?) or
you inadvertently mixed up the string gauge when you changed strings (real easy to do)

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 8:50 am    

Either loosen the return spring a bit, or look for a ball end in the way, or give the pivot rivets a shot of Triflow.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 11:55 am    

Thanks Jim and Lane. Tonight when I'm back at my steel I'm going to look really close with a magnifying glass and flashlight, neither of which I had handy when I made the discovery. Hopefully it's just a foreign object that I can clear out.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 2:26 am    

Problem solved!

You were all correct on at least one point... It did involve the raise finger... I discovered the changer was "chasing its tail" (thanks Jim, I like that phrase)... And it involved a ball end.

The culprit... When I put on the new string, it felt like the ball end went into its groove properly... But, it had actually wedged itself to the side of the finger! It's amazing that it caused that symptom, and that everything seemed normal until the half-lever point.

Thanks again guys!