The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with a Goodrich L10K VP
Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 8:25 pm    

Bought a very nice L10K from the Forum a few weeks back. Was told the pedal was scratchy. I got it, it was really not scratchy, but would seem to cut off then back on, as the pedal worked, but it wasn't all the time. I really didn't feel it was the pot, but I went ahead and replaced it with the new Dunlop Pot. It did not help it, it still does the same thing. I thought it might be the 3ft cord from the pedal to the Match Box, or maybe the Match Box. Replaced both of them, still the same. Is there a circuit board in the pedal that maybe going bad, if so HOW in the world do you get them apart, or do you just send them to Jim P. or Goodrich?
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 7:49 am    

Both the Matchbox and the L10K have impedance matching circuits in them so there is a bit of redundancy in your setup. Not sure why after changing the pot you still have the same problem. There have been times that one of the wires touches the pedal chassis and can cause a situation like this so I would try to make sure that they aren't doing that. Otherwise- Kevin Ryan is the brains of the outfit at Goodrich so contacting him at Goodrich would be the next step.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 12:41 pm    

Jim, The pedal doesn't really sound scratch, like most. It has a popping sound, and will cut out, like a bad cord. When I first got it, and plug it into the amp and just started to push it, it cut out with a pop, then worked fine for the rest of my playing. Then each time I would try it, it would do the same. When I would move the pedal up/down there would be not noise at all. I then just assumed it was a dirty pot. It does the same with the new pot. I know it has some other circuitry in it, but not sure what, or what would cause it to do this. Yes, I know about it and the Match Box, I just like having the tone control handy, not sure if it will cause anything. It works fine, and I've changed the cable, just trying everything. I have another L10K, that I put in place of it, and it doesn't act up, so I'm thinking it has to be something in the pedal. I know Goodrich will completely rebuild, and for what I paid for it, it would be cheap.

Thanks Jim.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 1:55 pm    

Jim, send it on out and we will take care of it....Not sure exactly what you have there but we will fix it for you no charge... Check the website four the address. Thanks

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 4:16 pm    

Kevin, I wouldn't expect you to fix it for nothing. The pedal is almost like new. I have replace the original pot with the new type Dunlop. The wires the didn't reach, so I added some to them. They are not the same colors, and I didn't have some that did. I assume your at Goodrich, and will get your address from the web. I will pay you for what ever the cost. I can send a check, paypal, or if you call when done with a CC. Thank you for the offer. A $400.00 pedal, and I got it for $115, a very good buy and I thank that lady very much.

Jim

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 7:52 pm    

I think I found the problem. The new pot I put in is also bad. I've had it for about 2 years, still in the package. It goes about half way down, then pops, and scratches from there to full on. Never would have guessed that. I have to get some new pots now. It was my last one.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 9:46 pm    

That was an ongoing problem w the PEC's- we have less than 1% failure w the Goodrich pots in a year.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 10:27 pm    

This was one of the new type Dunlop pots. I had it for a while. don't remember exactly, but it was over a year. Not sure if they have a shelf life or not. I'll order some tomorrow.