The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Rose update".
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 7:35 am    

I am in the final stages of finishing the "Rose" Sho~Bud SP II.
It has been a challenge to find everything I needed but thanks to many right here on the Forum...my mission will be accomplished soon. Cost is around the $3750.00 mark.(or more)
E9th is now playing GREAT....I did have an issue with a worn finger but swapped it out. #8-E would not lower correctly, changed it out with #9-D which does not move on my tuning.

My ShoBuddin' buddy Kevin Minke from Farmington came down last Thursday and helped me put ALL the rods in on both necks. I had used nylon nuts enough to do the E9th but not the C6th.

I purchased nylon (top grade) from Jeff Surratt from Show Pro Steel guitars....they will be here Tuesday of next week. I will then be able to finish her up. With ALL new tuning nuts.

When done completely (a week or two), I will then post the final pictures of her top to bottom! this has been a truely GREAT experience for me and a wonderful way for me to celebrate my 75th Birthday this August 22. This is also my 52nd year playing steel guitar.....hooked on Sho~Buds and just couldn't switch, even with the many beautiful brands and mechanics out there.
I started on a "permanent" then went to a "Fingertip" which I still have. I have owned several others (single necks & double necks) over the years but became fixated on the Super Pro models of the later years. I presently own 3 Super Pros all set up the same, Blonde, Black & Walnut all with wood necks (no binding on necks).
1 Finger tip that I have had for over 50 years. And now the "Rose" Creme colored Super Pro II rescued and brought back to life. Wood necks with binding. I found the shell only with one neck and end plates with 1/2 the center rail on Ebay. It was never totally finished with no serial number.
She is a beauty. I will post the new pictures soon.
Special thanks to my wife Barbara, for allowing the "Rose" to take over my life for a few months!!
Thanks,
Neil