The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Teleonics 12" amp & my P/P
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 4:28 am    

So I will start by saying I don't have a dog in this hunt what so ever.

I wanted to say for those of you wondering about these Telonics amps if they are what they are cracked up to be.

I bought the 12" model last Mar at the Dallas show and I have to tell you I could not be happier. I have played all the Peaveys, Quilter, Webb, Stereo Steel, Vintage Twin, Little Walter, etc and this one is really my favorite.

Why? Because the sound is pure with a hint of tubey. I feel like it makes my guitar do what I want it to do. The thing I notice the most is the way my sound sits in the mix. Sometimes my steel has sounded great all by itself but when mixed in with the band something undesirable happens to my sound. Not true with this rig.

I will add that my Infinity sound equally great through this setup as well. I am using a Telonics volume pedal as well. I never dreamed it would make a difference but boy I was wrong on that subject too. I am so glad I bought it.

Now, are they expensive? Well compared to a Nashville 400 yes but compared to a Little Walter or any hand wired tube amp, no. Dave Beaty can hook you up depending on what you want and they do have quit a few options to choose from.

Like I said, I have no skin in this game so just a report form a guy who has tried a lot of stuff. At the end of the day it inspires me to play even more.

My 2 Cents

Scaggs
p2pamps.com

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 5:47 am    

I heard a Telonics 2x12 and Emmons sd-12 last night. Truly a stunning tone.

I think I have great tone (Sho~Bud Professional and old Session 400) but I cannot un-hear that amp. Just what my wife needs to hear..haha.

Count me as a believer...though I don't play one...yet.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 6:15 am     Telonics

Telonics is a great amp, in fact all the products made by Dave and Telonics are wonderful products, FIRST class equipment. I used to be one of those who would spend $4000 for a steel but wanted to pay $400 for an amp, not any more I want an amp as good as my Emmons pedal steel guitar.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 6:28 am    

Billy, you are so right. If you're willing to put forth $4k for an instrument then get amplification equipment with it that is of equal quality. Every part of a system makes a difference.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 6:59 am    

Friday night, Mullen G2 into a Telonics volume pedal into a Telonics amp. Yep.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 10:02 am    

I am getting great tones out of my Telonics amp for steel guitar. But then I also got great tones out of my Nashville 400, Webb 6-14-E, Walker SS and Fender Steel King with steel guitar.

But none of those other amps have the plethora of useful features and light weight that the Telonics has. Plus, for me anyhow, the Telonics works well for guitar and fiddle. So well in fact that I have sold my Fender Princeton and Deluxe Reverb amps as the Telonics does those sounds well with perhaps the addition of a compressor and stomp box reverb.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Amp/Telonics%20Amp.html

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 30 Jul 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 10:36 am    

Today at church, it killed!

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 10:42 am    

Mike....do you play any C6th on your pushpull? Wondering how the Telonics 12 inch handles the lows....

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 10:44 am    

I do and it's great, at least to me ears. This weekend the band all commented on the sound of this amp and my blue lacquer Emmons.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 11:17 am    

My Mini 12" combo is delivering the best tone I have ever had...

Sez Adamson

South Africa
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 12:01 pm    

@ Mike Kowalik.
Mike, I had the opportunity to play through a Telonics 12" at the SWSGA show in Mesa in Jan. My set was all C6 (except for one short tune on E9). I was really happy with the sound of my Fessy with this amp. My style is 'stand alone' chord melody, so I use the bottom strings a lot.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 1:03 pm    

John Macy wrote:
My Mini 12" combo is delivering the best tone I have ever had...

Do you ever wish that you had the bigger speaker?

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 4:03 pm    

Thank you for the replies.....I'm interested in an amp with a 12....

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 5:04 pm    

I have a TCA-500 with 15" Neo, and I'll probably be acquiring a small cab Telonics with the 12" at the beginning of next year.

Modern day 12" speakers can handle the bass notes on the C6 very well, even in an NV-112. Perhaps not appropriate for the constant rumble of a bass guitar, but for the amount of bass used by most C6 players, no problem that I've found.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 5:25 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
I have a TCA-500 with 15" Neo, and I'll probably be acquiring a small cab Telonics with the 12" at the beginning of next year.

Modern day 12" speakers can handle the bass notes on the C6 very well, even in an NV-112. Perhaps not appropriate for the constant rumble of a bass guitar, but for the amount of bass used by most C6 players, no problem that I've found.

Hey Herb,

I think you will be more than happy with a 12" in your Telonics, I know I am. I think I will be adding a second 12" ext cabinet this year. I need to give old Dave a hollar and put in my order.

BTW Herb, That blue lacquer Emmons has been to (gasp) 2 gigs now! That thing sings man...

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 4:01 pm    

May 26, 2017 at the Station Inn.

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 6:31 am    

I'm thinking about buying one of these amps and an trying to decide about the G major efx. My goal would be to eliminate my pedal board to make travel and set up easier. However, I like to have an overdrive pedal in the chain which would mean I'd still have to have an external pedal for that. However, the G major manual says this:

Channel Switching
Changing your sound from a crisp, dry rhythm sound to an overdriven lead sound will (in addition to changing your effects preset) often involve switching your preamp’s or combo’s channels. If you want to switch amp channels via MIDI, you will normally need to purchase a separate MIDI switching system. Not so with G-Major 2. With G-Major 2’s built-in Relay Switch, you can switch between up to four channels on your preamp/combo.

My question, is this possible with the TCA-500? It is my understanding there is only one input channel (nothing to switch to).

My second questions are related how easy is the G major to use and program. I looked over the manual, but I'm not a technical guy, especially now that I'm getting old. I once bought a Strymon Timeline but sold it shortly thereafter because it was too complicated (for me). Is it possible to just use and be happy with the presets that are already programmed?

Is changing or creating new presets pretty intuitive?

Anyone gotten the G major and then thought they could have gotten by without it and/or continued to use external pedals?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:54 am    

I probably should have posted my question in the electronics section, which I will do now...
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 9:07 am    

I have the G Major and have programmed some of my own effects patches. The G Major does not have overdrive and the reverb and delay is pretty good but no better than the average quality stomp boxes. It is also defaulted to be in parallel mode so a few adjustments need to be made to run in series effect mode for maximum effectiveness on some effects types.

If I had it to do over I would go with the 12" speaker and no G Major or effects slot just to get the smallest footprint and keep my beloved stomp box sounds including reverb, delay, Leslie and distortion effects. Another reason for this is that I use these same stomp boxes for guitar and fiddle anyways so they have to be there for those instruments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 9:19 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
If I had it to do over I would go with the 12" speaker and no G Major or effects slot just to get the smallest footprint and keep my beloved stomp box sounds including reverb, delay, Leslie and distortion effects. Another reason for this is that I use these same stomp boxes for guitar and fiddle anyways so they have to be there for those instruments.

Thank Greg, this is what I was starting to think.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 2:11 pm    

I really like the idea of replacing stomp boxes with a dedicated rack processor. It makes it easier for throw and go gigs, which are the majority of what I do. I just want to switch it on and play.

I can see both setups having an upside.

With Telonics programming the processor of your choice, it takes the guesswork out of it, as programming is not my strong suit, and the presets are great.

I tried both the Lex and the TC Gmajor-2, both sound really good. You can find a used Lex for around $100. Hard to beat. If you order an amp with a dedicated open slot for effects, the amp ships with a black plate which you could use without an effects unit, and it looks better than any empty hole, giving you the option to add the rack at or not.

Again, Great gear and Great customer service. Im sure all the amp options are great. The 15" with rack is the one I chose, no regrets

Last edited by Steve Spitz on 9 Aug 2017 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 3:55 pm     Just a note because of similar model names

Just a quick note for those who might not be familiar with the TC Electronics EFX units.
The G Major was an earlier unit - and it was a good one. Many are still in active use.

The G Major-2 is a newer unit, currently in production, with updated effects algorithms and many design changes.

I believe the G Major-2 is the actual model under discussion and consideration here - its manual can be viewed and downloaded here:
http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.com/media/216788/tc_electronic_g-major_2_manual_english.pdf

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 5:36 pm    

Is the power section on the Telonics amp stereo? If you are using one speaker, obviously it's mono. Is the power bridged with mono or only half the power section being used with one speaker?

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 7:32 pm     Quick answer

Len, I don't want to disrupt this thread, so if you wish, Sophie will send you manuals and technical specs.

In direct answer to your question, "it depends on the model Telonics amplifier". We currently make 9 models.
We make full stereo systems, single and dual channel systems - no bridging on any of them, 500 watts RMS per channel.

The little TCA500 Combo amplifiers are all monaural, no bridging. The current TCA500"C" models all have external speaker capability, you can even run two external speakers in addition to the internal Telonics speaker.
We have people who plug an external amp unit into one side of the pseudo stereo channels from an effects unit in the 1U rack slot, and feed a second combo amp displaced by some distance in order to achieve a concert hall effect.

Let me or Sophie know if you would like full data and we take care of that away from this thread.
Thanks for your interest.