The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal effects pedal voltage conflict?
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 5:02 am    

My guitar chain is:
Guitar into a Hilton volume pedal that then feeds into a Boss distortion/overdrive pedal...then to amp input.
The Hilton pedal's power adaptor is 12V, the Boss power adaptor is 9V. Will the Boss pedal be adversely affected by the higher voltage from the Hilton pedal?

I am using the amps "effects loop" for a Peavey Deltafex that requires a 16.5V power adaptor...so that is not an option.

**This is a Quilter Steelaire amp and the manual suggests that "over-drive" pedals be placed in the guitar input chain . The Boss manual warns that a power greater than 9V could damage their pedal.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 5:06 am    

The power supply requirements have nothing to do with the audio signal path. Use the correct power supplies for your pedals and you will be fine.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 5:51 am    

Is the Hilton power supply DC or AC?
Is it really 12v, or is that what is on the adapter for it?
Will the components in the Boss tolerate a slightly higher voltage?

As you can see, a lot of factors to investigate.
Or, you could do what Howard said.
Use the correct adapters, and not worry about it, and instead worry about hitting the right notes.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 6:16 am    

Thanks for the info.

I have no problem going with what Howard suggested. My concern was about the signal path being affected by two different voltages in the same chain.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 6:42 am    

I believe the best place in the signal chain for a distortion device is between the guitar and volume pedal. Most players I know do that.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 7:26 am    

Unless you are trying to run all of your devices on the same wallwart, it's not a relevant question.
The signal passing through the Boss device never sees the 9 volts, and the signal passing through the Hilton never sees the 12 volts.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 10:47 am    

Why not use the 9V out on the rear of the Steelaire to power the pedal? (this should be a standard feature on all steel guitar amps IMO)..Overdrive devices that are steel guitar specific are designed to be plugged directly into the end plate jack (therefore, ahead of the VP) so Richard's advice is most likely correct.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 11:30 am    

That's what I'm doing...powering the Boss 9V out of the back of the amp's 9V power output.

Chain:
Guitar...Boss pedal...volume pedal...amp instrument input.

Thanks again for all the suggestions...much appreciated!!!

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 7:03 pm    

The Hilton volume pedal is not a 12 volt pedal. Mine is 24 volts. Be careful what you're hooking up.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 3:25 am    

The only times a unit's supply voltage may affect its signal path, is the moment the unit gets turned on and off, as it usually takes a little time - from parts of a second to a few seconds - for input and output capacitors to drain themselves down (or up) to signal-GND.
For some units this can be heard as a light "click" or "pop" sound if the signal-path following the unit is open to let this momentary on/off instability reach the amp/speaker.

Once these signal-path capacitors have balanced themselves around signal-GND = zero voltage, supply voltages in various units no longer matters between units in the signal path.

(Only units that have some form for defects can constantly leak supply voltage onto the signal path.)

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 5:24 am    

George Redmon...Just for the record;

My Hilton volume pedal has the Motorola hard wired (into the pedal) power adaptor. Printed on the adaptor is:

Input 120VAC 60Hx .18A

Output +5VDC .5A
+12V DC .13A
12VDC .13A

I have two of these Hiltons.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 2:29 pm    

Tom, your pedal that has the power supply hard wired to the pedal was produced between the years 1999 to 2007. If you read closely on the power supply, it says +12vdc,-12vdc, and +5vdc. The +5vdc is not used and is capped off. If you put a volt meter across the +12 volts DC, to the -12 volts DC, your volt meter will read +24 volts DC. So George is correct, the pedal is operating from 24 volts DC. All modern IC chips for audio operate from positive and negative power. The 9 volt power supply feeding the Boss effect pedal you mentioned has nothing to do with the audio signal of the Boss effect pedal. Likewise the audio signal of the Hilton pedal is different than the 24 volt power supply feeding the Hilton pedal. Hope this information helps. Keith Hilton