The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stephen Stills-Judy Collins Tour- Ravinia Chicagoland
John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 4:15 am    

This might not be the right place to post this....but both artists have used PSG in their individual works in the past, be it Buddy Emmons, Jerry Garcia or others. Did not expect to see PSG with them on this tour, but went to see 2 of my biggest heroes of the music world over the last 50 years.

That said....A group of us loyal fans, both Collins and Stills, went to Ravinia to enjoy this Tour Kickoff. Simply, Judy Collins hit it out of the Park! Her angelic voice continues to be spot on and her stories are always funny and engaging. Her 12-string guitar beautiful, as always.

But My hero, Stephen Stills, was not nearly at the same level. While his guitar playing was still great, his vocals were lacking, being pitchy and not the best match for Collins. Even the mix was not Top Shelf as is normally the case at Ravinia. Not sure if it was Opening Night problems or jitters, lack of live rehearsals or life and age has caught up to Stephen. Sadly, a fair number of people left even before the break, but I'm sure it was not due to Ms. Collins contributions...

I would be curious if others will have the same feelings at other dates this year. As an aside, some other friends of ours went to the CSN concert here in Chicago in 2016, Suite Judy Blue Eyes (the song) was nowhere to be found. In last night's concert, Stephen told a story on himself, about his manager sending him to Canada through Hibbing MN on concert dates in February 2017. The essence of the story or tag line was (I can't put the exact quote here as this is a family show), but he said you knew when you were done, so to speak. it was disappointing.