The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson BR9 (What Pick-up and Why So Many?!)
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 9:38 pm    

Folks:

I've notice that, of all the Gibson laps, the cream-colored BR9 seems to be the most readily available. Granted, some are beat up, but I have seen several recently under $500--some even with period cases.

So--why so many? And what pick-up is in those?

Thanks, as always!

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 1:59 am    

They were Gibson's student model (hence the numbers on the frets) but don't let that put you off - they are great guitars.

The pickup is a P90 which is a great sounding pickup. In fact they are so good, that many BR9s have had their pickups removed and put into regular guitars.

This is definitely something to look out for and not necessarily a problem if you aren't fussy about a 100% original guitar and the replacement pickup sounds good (as long as the price reflects this, of course).

Prices seem to be on the way up - not so long ago you could pick them up for $300 or less - still can if you're patient and keep your eyes open but a lot of them seem to go for more than that now. The cases are pretty fragile though. If you're gigging with it, I'd find another case and leave the original at home. I usually carry mine around in one section of a double guitar gig bag so I can easily take it to gigs along with my regular guitar to use it on a few numbers even if I wasn't booked primarily as a steel player.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 5:18 pm    

I have two BR-9 v.1: c. 1947 steels with non-adjustable pickups. Both sound great . I purchased one in 2003 and
one in 2004 at what I thought were very reasonable prices. My memory is that I replaced tuner buttons on both.
Both were in original condition, except for the tuner buttons.

C. E.
A6 tuning for steels

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 12:05 pm     Re: Gibson BR9 (What Pick-up and Why So Many?!)

Mark Helm wrote:
why so many? And what pick-up is in those?

The BR-9 was in continuous production from late 1947 to mid-1959. Over 13,000 were built, which is almost half of Gibson's total postwar output of lap steel guitars.

Except for a handful of prototypes sporting a prewar P-13 pickup, the first BR-9s had the standard postwar non-adjustable Alnico pickup, sometimes referred to as the "wide oval" or "racetrack" pickup. Around 1951, the P-90 took its place and ran through the end of production in 1959.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 8:07 pm    

The number I heard was over 15,000 ! My first store bought steel was one of those in 1947. Sold it when I was in Europe in the 50s. Then I bought one at a local music store, replaced the tuners, played it a bit, and sold it at Joliet/ HSGA convention, for $125 bucks !

Nice guitars though. If some joker says it's "rare" on Ebay, you know he is full of crap !!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 8:54 am    

Bill Creller wrote:
If some joker says it's "rare" on Ebay, you know he is full of crap !!

BR-9s that are truly rare would be those with the original Kluson strips and their original plastic buttons, as previously noted by Mr. Jackson.