The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any steelers in Edinburgh, Scotland?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 10:13 am    

Will be there for a week in mid-August, then on to Isle of Skye. Any steelers to grab a brew with?

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 10:54 am    

Hello Jim, I see you got booked in, I always visit the Edinburgh Festival and would be glad to meet you there on whatever day you wish, I live just outside the city.

You will love Skye too, and the road that takes you up there, bring your Mountain Bike and join Danny Macaskill up on the Ridge. The song is sung by the late Lizzie Hughes a Gypsy Singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA

James Kerr.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 5:12 pm    

I was wondering the same thing. I'll also be in Scotland in the middle of August. I'll be in Glasgow and Edinburgh

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 5:49 pm    

Hey that's great. Maybe James can recommend a good, centrally-placed pub in Edinburgh and we can all meet up. Maybe I can get Billy and Ann Murdoch to come in from Glasgow for the occasion. And where does Allen Thompson live?

Steve, when are you in town? I'm there from the 16-23 (but with some prior commitments during that period).

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 26 Jul 2017 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 9:53 pm    

Hi Jim,
Ann and Myself are looking forward to meeting up with You,Our good friend Bill McKillop has said He would come also.
Best regards
Billy

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 1:38 am    

Jim and Steve, what dates are you here? most of Steel players are over in Glasgow area, but Edinburgh is not too far away. The Scottish Steelies workshop is on 22Aug at Gartcosh between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have Sue from Peterson coming over on 21st Aug to stay with us, so might make Gartcosh.Be great to meet up with you guys.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 5:24 am    

I'm in Edinburgh from 16-23 Aug. I would love to visit the Scottish Steelies workshop but 22 Aug is one of the dates that I have to be in Edinburgh, as my son plays in the Fringe Festival on that date. Sad What time does the workshop start and end?

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:54 am    

Jim, it starts at seven till about ten.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 8:32 am    

Malcolm McMaster wrote:
Jim, it starts at seven till about ten.

Malcolm, so, it's all in the evening? If so, I might be able to get away, if I can get to Gartcosh; are there trains from Edinburgh?

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 11:34 am    

Jim there are no direct trains you have to go Glasgow then back out to Gartcosh. Journey time is around 1hr 40min. Will try and find out if any members are coming from Edinburgh area.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 11:51 am    

Thanks, Malcolm but I recently learned that my son's concert is in the evening, at 7:30pm in Edinburgh, so there's no way I could come to Gartcosh that evening. So close, but no chance. Too bad... Sad

Hope to meet up another time and place during our visit.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 3:12 pm    

Ok a Jim, see what we can fix up.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 6:54 am    

Hi Malcolm,
I will be back in Glasgow sometime on the 22nd after spending a few days in the Highlands. This is a first trip for me, as you say, over the pond. If possible, I'd like to come and meet up with some local steel players. Jim and I have been emailing this morning but it looks like our schedules just won't allow us to connect. Close, but no cigar.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 8:21 am    

Steve, perfect timing the Scottish Steelies workshop meeting is taking place on the 22nd just outside Glasgow.Will pm you with details and my contact number.Had planned to take Sue Haslam, who is staying with us on her Scottish trip, so can arrange to meet up.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 7:15 pm    

Hey Malcolm say gidday to Sue for me ... I'm sure your taking good care of her -- did she bring along her "Mr Bling" mask at all ??? hehehe ....
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:35 pm    

Hi Paddy, going round all the tourist spots with Sue, have not got the Mr Blyng mask out ,she did not want to ruin her holiday. She sends her regards,went up to Scottish Steelies meeting last night.