The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing through a Silver Face Twin
Paul Boden

Santa Rosa California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:32 pm    

Does anyone play through a silver face twin.
I have 1970 original twin I bought new and was wondering if anyone plays through one, I don't think I can get enough bass out of it.
But the nashville 112 sounds great with one 12 especially after the EPC 12 emince with Ken Fox mods and a mod reverb
Thanks for your input

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 6:26 pm    

I'm a six stringer that doubles on pedal steel. I use a 72 silverface deluxe reverb for low volume gigs, and a 79 Twin with the ultralinear transformer for the loud ones. They both sound great for steel and six string . I have a Nashville 112 with the eminence epc 12 and Mod reverb that I use for practice at home, to keep the mileage low on the tubes in the silverfaces. But the Nash 112 doesn 't leave the house. Tonewise, the silverfaces blow the Nash away . It's not even close, at least to my ears. But I'm a tube guy.

Jeff Watson

Anza, CA. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 6:54 pm    

If I was still playing gigs that are just a bit louder than my comfort level that's the amp I'd still be turning to. Always had more bass than I needed.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 12:08 am    

I use a '79 Twin, and have to run the bass down around 4 or 3, depending on which guitar/pup, and with the mids UP, .. enough bass has never been a problem Smile

Last edited by Dave Meis on 25 Jul 2017 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 1:01 am    

My main gigging amp is a 1970 silver face twin. It has way more than enough bass for me. I generally have the bass down at about 3 or 4. If I turn the bass up any more than that, as some here will suggest, it sounds muddy. Run the mids at about 8 or 9 and the treble at anywhere from 2 & 1/2 to 3 & 1/2. Bright switch off.

Of course many variables affect tone, i.e. steel, pickups, speakers, the player, etc., but those settings are pretty close to what some have recommended here on the forum, and they work for me.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 1:10 am    

bought a 70 Twin new in, well, 70, used it non stop for 25 years, Steel and Telecaster.

Not really sure why you can't get enough bass out of it, it is the common standard platform for EQ for pretty much ALL Fender tube amps. Never heard of anyone saying that before. When was the last time it was serviced ? Caps, tubes, speakers , tube sockets, screen resistors etc ?

If it sounds muddy it needs E-Caps for certain, maybe tubes as well, at the very least.

Sold the 70 in 95, bought a 71 in 2005, used that one non stop for another 10 years.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 3:54 am    

I agree with everyone here, your situation is not typical of this amp. My SF DSR runs, bass at 2-3 max. I messed with the CH 2 tone stack years ago and it has significantly more bottom than CH 1 but I'm not finding that to be such a good thing. I believe you need to have a tech look at this. The good news is that you will come home from a good tech with a sweet rig.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 5:47 am    

Ultralinear Twin with Eminence Legends
At the three minute mark I get to the bottom strings of the back neck. I submit if that's not enough low-end grunt, nothing but thousand watt subs will make you happy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOnjXoHvOng

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 6:43 am    

Paul, how high do you have the channel volume on your twin? If you are down in the 1-2 range, that could render the sound a bit thin. In my experience, twins really need to be opened up to at least three to hear their true sound. Open up to five and it's a glorious thing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 7:59 am    

I bought an early silver face Twin with JBL speakers back in 1967 and used it for yours.
My guitar slinger uses it now.
A while back I picked up a 1975 Fender Vibrosonic amp and installed a JBL D140F, orange frame speaker in it.
I'm liking it a lot! Very Happy

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 10:38 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
Paul, how high do you have the channel volume on your twin? If you are down in the 1-2 range, that could render the sound a bit thin. In my experience, twins really need to be opened up to at least three to hear their true sound. Open up to five and it's a glorious thing.

Yes it's a tone stack EQ...1 isn't even on yet, like pretty much all Fender tube amps.

3 or 4 is more suitable, more in reality, and if someone says it's too loud on 3 or 4 they are clearly using the wrong amp or are really in the wrong room. A Twin on 3 or 4 is no different than a Nashville 112 on 3 or 4. The difference between a Twin and ALL other Fender amps ( not Showmans ) is beyond 5 or 6 there is still a tad of clean gain on the V-knob. It's not twice as loud on 3 or 4 as a Deluxe reverb or a Super Reverb is on the same settings. A 100 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 50 watt amp, it may have a tad more clean gain is all.

the amp in question needs maintenance , thats what it sound like, serious maintenance by an appropriate tech.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 10:54 am    

According to the user manual of my Fender Twin, tube amps provide between 10 and 20 times more potential power to the bass and treble compared to solid state amps once they're opened up in volume. Maybe that partly explains why Peavey steel amps need to be radically scooped in the mid range to sound good.

It's very probably the combination of speakers and pickups that determine how much bass is going to come through. The early single coil low impedance pickups sound like heaven when they're in their in their own. But they easily sound very thin through an amp and speaker that doesn't naturally produce an abundance of low frequencies. A Fender Twin with the stock speakers isn't an amp that specializes in LF so it isn't surprising that some guitars will not be at their best even if others sounds outstanding. An older stock Nashville 400 or similar amp might not give you so much more bass either.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 12:17 pm    

At home I have the volume down to about 2 & 1/2, but at gigs it's on at least 5 to 6, and sometimes up to about 8, depending. It definitely sounds better when turned up a bit.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 12:32 pm    

we still need to know about amp servicing, otherwise we are all spinning in mud.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 12:46 pm    

Indeed. If it's 47 years old with original caps, it's not even CLOSE to spec.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 2:24 pm    

Played through one for many years, & didn't have a problem with lack of bass. 1973 or 74, had the speakers replaced with Pyle Drivers around 1983 & had the caps replaced once maybe 15 years ago. I found it a bit unclear with steel around 14th fret & up - chimy mud if there is such a thing - but otherwise it's a great, versatile, durable amp. Oh yeah, and heavy.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 8:46 pm     Playing Through A Twin

Paul,

Here's a link with some testimonials of guys using the Fender Twin Reverb. My post on this thread tells you how I approached the issue of the Twin and use of speakers. It's working great.

Lately, I've been playing through the Celestion Vintage 30s that are in the amp. I find them very warm and clear for steel use. I crank the MV to 10 and set the channel volume to around 4-5. No issues with bottom end that I've found...especially with two 15" EVMs. The TT-12 and Peavey 1201s also sound great with this rig.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=315716&highlight=

Don

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 11:24 am    

I played a gig last night with a SF Twin (71, no MV), and using Channel-1 with a RV3 for del/rev, I had the Tone knobs all very close to 3, and the Volume at 5-and-a-half, with a Telonics V-ped setting #4, thru one JBL-K120.
I thought it sounded good.
Buddy Cage once told me he sets all the Tone knobs at 7 on a Twin.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 1:13 am    

the op asked a question, there are many replies, he never returned . Shocked

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 2:52 pm     Silver faced twin

Rumor has it That Lloyd used an early 70's Twin with factory JBL D120F speakers in that he rented from a music store when he played with Charlie Pride in Texas on the Panther Hall live album and the steel on that album may well be the best I've ever heard and I've heard as much as most and maybe more. I have one of those Fender twins super heavy and sounds good but the difference being the player and that has a whole lot to do with tone maybe up to 70 percent.