The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about extended tuning for D12 push-pull.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 3:51 am    

I have a D12 Emmons that's sat in its case since I got it many, many years ago. As you can guess, it weighs a ton and that's why I've never played it. But I'm thinking of pulling it out, cleaning it up and restringing it.

My question(s) is: For extended tunings, what are the bottom two strings supposed to be tuned to on each of the necks? And what gauges would those strings or sets be?

Thanks.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 6:02 am    

D12s aren't common enough for there to be a "correct" answer, so do what suits you.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 7:18 am    

If I had such a guitar, the top neck would be the extended E9. An E9/B6 tuning would be redundant since the back neck would be a 12 string C6. Strings 11 and 12 would be a G# and E, raising the G# to A with p.B. I'd have s.11 be a .042 and s.12 be a .050 guage.

On C6 the extra strings would be re-entrant on top. My tuning would probably be low-to-high C F A C E G A C E G B D. The tuning could actually be called a C6 Diatonic, similar to the E9. The guages would be:

s.1 .017
s.2 .018
s.3 .012
s.4 .014 or .015

s.5 through s.12 the standard C6 guages.

I would raise s.3 a half-tone G-G# with p.5. I also would raise s.1 D-D# with a vertical lever.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 24 Jul 2017 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 7:37 am    

If I owned such a beast I would in fact do exactly as Herb suggests.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 7:54 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
the top neck would be the extended E9.

I agree. But then I think ext E9 is enough by itself if you load it up with enough pedals etc.

Herb Steiner wrote:
The tuning could actually be called a C6 Diatonic

Yes, with no pedals the top 6 strings are 6 notes of the C scale with no gaps EDCBAG

Herb Steiner wrote:

On C6 the extra strings would be re-entrant on top. My tuning would probably be low-to-high C F A C E G A C E G B D.

That's what Rick Schmidt did when he recently went to 12 strings on C6, and he found the B string extremely useful right away. So if you're accustomed to the standard C6 of 50 years ago, this seems ideal.

My approach was to add 2 D strings (3 and 8 ), non-re-entrant, since I was not accustomed to any C6 and didn't have to unlearn anything.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 8:52 am    

On my D-12's I have always had the low G# and E on the bottom of E9 and the first two on C6 are F and D. So strings 1-6 are FDGECA. That simulates the chromatic strings on the top of E9. It works for me, but I may try the high D and B someday just to see what I'm missing.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 9:35 am    

I'd strip the rear neck of strings and hardware and replace with a pad. Do you really want to have to change 24 strings every few weeks? Shocked

How much do you want for that beast? Razz