The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help Finding a Vintage Lap
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 6:10 pm    

Hey, friends! I have been a guitarist since I was 14 years old. I'm 55 now and for the past year have been obsessed with lap steel since I picked up a 1962-4 Airline Rocket in near-mint shape at an estate sale.

The Airline is nice, but the Valco pickup-up that's in most vintage laps under $500 isn't very sweet sounding. I can't afford a $900-$2000 Gibson or anything with the Charlie Christian p/u.

I have been looking at a 50s Oahu Tonemaster with a P90 style p/u (I think), and the Gibson BR9, of which there seem to be many around $500...

I feel like there's some over-looked treasures I'm missing. Can you folks make some suggestions (my top budget...straining, would be $600) Shocked
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 7:13 pm    

I think you have a lot of great advise about the vintage market and I think you should follow your heart on that...sorry if I kinda misled you...good luck in the SEARCH,,,that is a lot of fun I know ! Smile I would say to stick with forum members and even put a WTB ad...I have always found the forum to be a wonderful source of instruments and great people to deal with...they know their stuff as opposed to guitar music shops or others that happen to have a lap steel in their shop. Have you checked the listing on North County Steel Guitars...Jim always has a nice selection of steel guitars and he definately knows steels !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 25 Jul 2017 5:17 am; edited 3 times in total

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 7:17 pm    

I understand the vintage thing. My favorite is a Supro with the sting through pick up. I believe it's a Valco. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Great sounding steel.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 7:26 pm    

Gibsons are wonderful but the prices are up a bit. The most affordable models seem to be some of the BR-3, BR-4, BR-6, BR-9 variety. I've always kind of fancied the BR-6. Most of these have Alnico pole piece pickups which should sound really good. Gibson sometimes produced instruments under other brands like Kalamazoo and Recording King also.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 7:38 pm     Thanks, guys.. maybe I should be more clear....

... I already have one of those Chicago-made, Valco/National/ Supro/Airline/Magnatone, etc. laps... my Airline Rocket.

The Gibson BR9 is avail. in my price range. Can anyone tell me about the pick-up on those?

The BR6? HAven't seen any... just the BR9s...

I only have $400-600

Is the Oahu Tonemaster a nice, sweet-sounding lap?

What else is out there I'm missing. thanks, folks!!!! You guys are awesome...
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 7:50 pm    

Best Vintage Guitar for the money would be a Magnatone G-70 or G-65; in very good condition under $400. You might also look for a Rickenbacher B6, ACE, or Academy Bakelite; sometimes sell for under $600 in good, playable condition. Look up message threads about these guitars on the forum for more info. All have superior vintage tone. Buy thru the forum if possible. On eBay, look for a seller who offers a 30 day return policy.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 8:14 pm    

Early BR-9's have Alnico fixed pole piece pickups, later ones have p90.

I see a Gibson "Mastertone" on ebay that is roughly identical to a 1940-ish EH-100. It is an Alnico pole piece pickup with a metal cover. The basic body style seems to be the one that Recording King appropriated in their current lap steels.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 8:16 pm    

If by "sweet" you mean "clean", I think a good clean tone can be had from those Valco pickups if you keep the volume pot on the guitar below the halfway point and turn up the amp instead. Provided your amp has some decent clean headroom. Also, I know some of the later model string-thru pickups had a magnet and a block of wood instead of two magnets. If yours is one of those, it might benefit from a Rick Aiello magnet set. That said, I would be the wrong person to talk you out of buying another lap steel. Razz

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 8:50 pm     Re: Thanks, guys.. maybe I should be more clear....

Mark Helm wrote:
... I already have one of those Chicago-made, Valco/National/ Supro/Airline/Magnatone, etc. laps... my Airline Rocket.

Magnatones are different from the others listed.. not a Valco product

FWIW.. My Oahu Tonemasters and my Gibson Royaltone (w adjustable P90) sound fairly similar...lots of mids.. not as bright and clear as my Magnatones.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 10:59 pm    

You really won't go wrong with a BR-9. They are lovely guitars. First lap steel I ever bought and even though I have since bought 8 string double, triple and quad instruments, the little BR-9 still gets lots of use. Any time I do a regular guitar gig or recording session, or go to a jam session, I bring it with me and usually get to play it on a few songs - often leads to a steel guitar booking.

Great sound. Only thing is that the tuner pegs are often shrivelled and fragile. However, you can get an exact replacement from Kluson (even an aged set that matches the instrument perfectly).

Also look to check that the pickup hasn't been taken for another guitar (if it has, no worries we long as the replacement sounds good and the price reflects that - unless you want a 100% original instrument). They aren't hard to find and one will show up if you keep your eyes open.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 11:14 pm    

I don't know too much about lap steels actually, but I have a couple of them...including the cheapest of cheap SX with the P90 pickup, which I think sounds really nice.

We also have a Chicagoan National with the string thru pickup at the jam barn. I love the sound of that thing as per Bill and Joe. I think it sounds terrific, especially on the C6 tuning, trying to cop the Islands stuff.

I concur that there might be an issue with those pickups and the dummy wood blocks etc.

I'd like to have a higher end one too, but for now I'm pretty happy with these. They can handle anything I'm capable of throwing at them.

Best of luck though in finding something you really like.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 2:55 am    

In vintage lap steels of the 6-string variety, I'll go out on a limb and say that the most consistently desirable/playable/collectable models over the past 20 years have been:

- Rickenbacher frypan (in the 2-3k range if you can find them
- Rickenbacher Bakelite (currently $900-1500 range)
- Gibson EH-150 with Charlie Christian pickup ($800-1500 range)
- Fender professional models

That said, there are various metal body rics, other model Gibsons (BR-9 etc) that folks love. I personally have a 6-string Mother-of-toilet seat Magnatone that has a terrific, sweet sound. It cost me $375. A "sweet sound" can mean different things to different people. The Ric horseshoe is considered by many to be one of the best-sounding vintage pickups but many other pickups also sound great.. Fender trap and Stringmaster, Valco/Supro, Gold Foil - it all depends on what you want to play and hear; apples and oranges. My old EH-150 came to me with a 50s Telecaster pickup in it - sounded great so sometimes a steel that's not stock and collectable can be a good player.

Here is a sample of some of the good vintage instruments available out there right now ...

https://reverb.com/item/6024125-gibson-br9-lapsteel-1950s-cream

https://reverb.com/item/5920685-fender-deluxe-lap-steel-early-model-b-38-serial-1946-47-natural

https://reverb.com/item/5588133-oahu-tonemaster-lap-steel-1930-s-2-color-sunburst

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/-1946-lap-steel-6-string-fender-guitar-deluxe-45850-

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/-c-1937-lap-steel-rickenbacker-guitar-59-replated-chrome-49254-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-30s-40s-Rickenbacker-Electro-Model-59-Lap-Steel-Electric-Guitar-/302382579190?hash=item466767fdf6:g:YVEAAOSw95FZZ59d

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 2:31 pm    

Do yourself a favour & get a Rickenbacher!
Even if you don't like it (which I doubt) you will always get your money back at the very least! IMHO

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:06 pm    

I have a late 40's Vega that I will be listing soon..... close to mint with the original case. Rickenbacker is an excellent choice also. I love my B6 Panda.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 8:19 pm    

I had a Vega for a while, and liked it. Sold it to get more room !!

Also have a Gibson EH??? 7 string from 1938 or '39, that I repaired & painted black ( sun burst finish was bad) I would sell that one...
Got it without a case, and built one for it...