The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee Lever Throw Length
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 6:33 am    

OK, obviously, this is a matter of taste (and perhaps how flexible your ankle-joint is), but is there some "norm" of how long a knee lever throw should be? I am in the middle of adjusting one of my steels to shorten the throws. Just as an idea, the knee levers are about 8" long from the shafts, and travel varies from 1/2" to 2 1/4" currently as measured at the end of the lever. The 1/2" does not allow a nice, controlled, slow pull, and the 2 1/4" is just way too long for my preferences. I figure there must be a standard length of throw that builders and repair guys shoot for when setting up a steel without other specific instructions? Mickey Adams, Fred Justice, et al, any input?

Others - pretty easy to hold a tape measure against a leg or other knee lever, check the distance to the knee lever you are testing, then activate it by hand and see how long the throw is. Maybe post what your measurements are, and if you like them and if you consider it on the short or long end or the range.

BTW, the 1/2" is just a single-note lower of a half-step on C6 neck that I set up - so it works with the short throw, although I could probably make it a little longer. I think I prefer throws in the 1" - 1 1/2" range, generally.

Thanks!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:42 am    

That's probably around the ideal. My 6th string lower is really long, but I'd have to gear it up to shorten it

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 10:26 am    

On my LDG, I made a short throw about 5/8" on the LKL, with my Emmons set up, so I can hit it fast, with the A pedal. But all 3 others are about 1". They are the tear drop levers.
Think this is all a personal set up, just like the floor pedals, because everyone is built different. Set it up for "YOU".

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 11:05 am     Knee lever throw length

I like a little free travel in the levers before they actually start the lower or raise of the strings. This way you can move your legs for pedals and wear different pants without the lever actually engaging and putting its strings out of tune. Shortening a long throw will take moving some linkage on the bell cranks and adjusting the lever stops. Also when shortening any throw as it shortens it will take more pressure on the lever to engage. That is just a rule of physics on levers. The shorter the lever the more pressure to accomplish the raise or lower. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.