The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green C Pedal
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 3:44 am    

May I confess straight away that my C pedal is under-explored, and make a solemn and public promise to do something about it.

Bearing in mind that a great deal of steel playing is two-part harmony, we are always on the lookout for different ways to get alternating major and minor 3rds and 6ths, and they will sound different depending on how the string tensions work out. For instance, on strings 5 & 8, if you lower 8 to get a minor 6th (i.e. a major harmony) it sounds a lot different to A&F two frets back because we're slackening one string instead of tightening two. And that's even before we consider the motion between the previous and subsequent notes.

So on strings 4 & 6 the B/C combination will have a tighter sound than just using the F lever and it will phrase differently too. I think it was the great 'cellist Pablo Casals who said "playing the cello is easy - the only hard part is getting from one note to the next".

Certainly on the steel it's the movement between sounds that draws the ear rather than pure timbre.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 5:02 am    

Ricky Davis,I can't thank you enough for this!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 6:21 am    

The 'C' pedal - is that the one with all the dust on?
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 7:30 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:

Ok; Get to work.
Ricky

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 12:56 pm    

This is the intro that Lloyd Green does that I'm excited about. He thinks so differently. This is as close as I can get.

Using his 2nd and 5th in unison and bar slants, then the 5th and 8th string with E to Eb knee and slants again. Wow. Great thinking. Such an inspiration, even in his late 70's. WOW!

http://picosong.com/wwXPU/

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 4:21 pm     Re: Good Lloyd Tab Here!

Hey Ron, I posted about that same intro earlier in this thread:
Brint Hannay wrote:
Back in 2013 Rob Duuren posted what I think is an extremely accurate tablature transcription of Lloyd's intro to Peter Cooper's "Wine" right here on the Forum. It includes use of the B & C pedals and the 2nd string 1/2- and whole-step lowers using strings 6, 4, and 2 in the first half of the intro.

It's not a whole song, but it's available for free right here on the Forum, here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=238606&highlight=wine

In the thread there is exceptionally good video of Lloyd playing the intro, where one can clearly see what fret he's at and when he uses bar slants. That, together with the audio, together with knowing what Lloyd's copedent has and doesn't have, led Rob to post what I firmly believe is an accurate transcription of how Lloyd played this intro.

I had, in fact, tabbed it out the same and was about to post it when Rob posted it first--and, I think, easier to read.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 7:13 pm     Then there's the Mooney change

My C pedal raises B to C# and G# to Bb (strings 5 & 6) a pretty standard S12U change. I raise my string 4, E to F# via my RKL lever. I think Mooney did the same. Lots of changes are possible with this including the sound of pedals A, B and C at the same time (standard E9 tuning). That unison thing is cool, with strings 1 and 4 together, I like the 6th voicing available with the three together. You also get an add 9 voicing when engaging this raise with the open chord--no pedals. It reminds me of what a genius tuning the E9 is and has been for all these years.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 8:16 am     Re: Then there's the Mooney change

John Russell wrote:
My C pedal raises B to C# and G# to Bb (strings 5 & 6) a pretty standard S12U change.

That's P3, but not the C pedal. The C pedal raises 4 and 5 of the E9th neck a whole tone
For common discussion purposes, that's P7, even if you have it on P3.
Just as on the C6th neck, my P5 lives on LKR, but it's still P5, because everyone knows what the standard pedals are.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 2:25 pm    

With my U-12, I lower the second string with LKL so it's a bit of a stretch to get the B&C pedal at the same time.I lower my 6th string G# to F#. I may add a rod to that vertical to lower the 2nd string D# to D and since you only use string 2-3-4 it should be OK and be more comfortable with the verticle being over the B&C pedals.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 1:33 pm    

Well, OK, whatever you want to call it. It's the third pedal from the left. I'll call it "the pedal formerly known as C." Mine doesn't do what the traditional "C pedal" does. We'll call those three A, B and 3 if that helps. Wink

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2018 9:44 pm     E to F# on a Knee Lever

Been working my way through this thread.
I also have had my 4th string E to F# on a knee lever since 1978.
Have given some thought to getting it back on a pedal now that I have a 5 pedal SD-10.
Other than being able to whack it up and down faster, is there some other advantage I'm missing?

Also for Jan Jonsson, Thanks so much for tabbing out those tunes so well.
I'd struggled with Ashoken Farewell on and off for a couple of years now and never got it quite right.
Then after hearing Lloyd play Venus Moon at the Texas show and hearing it again for the first time yesterday on the youtube Paul Franklin interview of Lloyd had started to drive myself a little nuts with that too. Maybe now I can save whats left of my sanity a little longer.

I guess I'm just a guy with a lot of enthusiasm and not quite enough talent! Whoa! Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:31 pm    

I use the B and C pedals a lot. I use the Emmons setup. Lots of fun stuff with those 2 pedals.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:48 pm     Psg

Lots of uses for the C pedal. I like the intro to " Are You Sure" written by Willie Nelson and titled by Big E. 4,6 & 9 w/pedals, 2 & 3 (Emmons set up). Recorded by Ray Price also.