Joe Blount

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 12:53 pm    

What setting do you use on session 400

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 3:58 pm    

Presence and treble 12 o-clock.
Mid Off so that's like all the way to the left.
Shift; 2 o-clock.
Bass 3 o-clock.
sensitivity or master knob....all the way up...and volume on something that doesn't kill everyone around you...and same with reverb..
(of course the type of steel and pickup and volume pedal and whatever else you have or don't have in line...makes a "o-clock"diff; here and there...but that will get you generally going)
Ricky

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:59 pm    

I'm in close agreement with Ricky.
Bass for me usually a bit higher than him, around 4 o'clock, turn it down if it's a bit "woofy."
I run the shift about 2 o'clock, but I run the mid at around ten o'clock.
The rest exactly like Ricky.

Joe Blount

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 6:44 pm     Session400

Did peavey have any type of chart or info on setting

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 3:42 am    

I'm not sure.
Here's a video I did on mine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsSi9kpkcg

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 7:20 am    

Here's a link to the 'Owners Manual' with the settings Peavey recommended..

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300811.pdf

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 7:46 am    

On a related note, is there a browser in Android that will open a pdf without saving it?

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 9:24 am    

Yesterday we had an amp comparison at JayDee's. StereoSteel, Telonics, Revelation tube pre-amp with a power amp I can't recall, and my Session 400. All the high end rigs sounded very good, as you might expect with JayDee playing on a P/P with Pittman humbuckers, an Emmons pot pedal and Matchbox. I think the consensus was that the Telonics was super clean and the StereoSteel had a little more "grit". Same impressions for Bob Bernstein on his LGIII.

I recently put a SICA 15" in an old Session 400 (with a Brad Sarno Session 400 Geek page re-cap), so I brought it along to compare with these high end rigs.. Here's what worked for JayDee. My own settings are similar, but less Presence and Treble, as I use a Telonics pedal, which lets significantly more high end through. I felt that as a lower budget mono alternative, it compared quite well with the the other rigs.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 10:00 am    

Peter, in my three-amp shootout video, opinion splits almost equally between my Session 400, a 65 Reissue Twin with 15,and my Milkman.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 5:15 am    

This sheet of the pro's settings for the Session 500 has been posted several times over the years. Should work for the 400 I would think.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 4:05 pm    

Try the shift on 10 and cut the midrange completely. Thats how I run my LTD

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 7:39 pm    

Jeff Newman put one out years ago. I have it some where close. I could send it to you, if I had your e-mail. I never played through the Session, so I can't give any advice. I had the Vegas 400, and now the Nashville 112.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 9:46 pm    

The Session 400's were passive controls, so may not be the same compared to a Nashville 400 or Session 500. Also, the Session 400's were transistor circuits compared to the later Nashvilles and 500's, which used IC's.
My 1974 Session 400 is mod'ed. Playing my U-12 Zum through it with TT pickup wound to 18000. Settings:
P= 9 o'clock, T= 9 o'clock, M= 9 o'clock, Shift= 12 o'clock, Bass= 1 o'clock. BW DT 1501 spkr.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 1:32 am    

I think the 400 was active, not passive. Brad Sarno ran one through an analyzer, and it was most interesting.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 4:01 am    

Flat settings on the Nashville 400 and the Session 400 "Limited" were straight up, which I refer to as active. Left was cutting and right was boosting. The old original Session 400's the Mid control was a cut only which I refer to as passive, even when the knob was turned full right it still cut, but nearly flat. Treble on the older 400's were controlled at a factory 2.7K Hz. The Nashville 400's were at 6K Hz. I would assume that the preamp on a Session 500 was the same as the Nashville 400, but maybe some subtle differences in tone stack?
The Session 400 Limited (not to be confused with the LTD) had a very treble tone stack and wasn't as desirable during it's tenure. I still have one and never liked it's tone. The IC mod helped a little. Plus, transistors (older Session 400's)seemed a little warmer than the IC chips that took over later.
You can't set the knobs the same between different era's of the Peavey steel amps and get the same results. Different beasts.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 6:59 pm    

Joe, I posted this for you, not sure where it went. I'll try again. This was Jeff Newmans monthly newsletter back in 1989 on the settings for the Session 400. Hope it helps.

Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 4:52 am    

Jeff mentioned the "new Session 400 amps are out", which is the Session 400 Limited. It's not the same amp as those Session 400's produced before the Limited came on the scene. The Limited had patch inputs on the front panel. These amps had the IC chips and a very treble tone to the amp. The IC mod helped a little, but never were capable of delivering the same tone as the earlier transistor Sessions.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 8:08 am    

The Nashville 400 was by far a better amp than the 400 Limited.