The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tips for traveling to Chile with my pedal steel
Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 4:26 pm    

I have been invited to play pedal steel in Santiago, Chile at a Christian conference in October. I'll play 2-3 times a day with a band for about 30-45 minutes each. A friend of mine has played the same conference a couple times in prior years and the group inviting me is solid and reliable.

They aren't paying me very much, but they are covering all travel costs, lodging and food. I plan to stay a few extra days to sight see. I'm excited at the opportunity to see that part of the world at nominal expense.

My question is, does anybody have any experience traveling to or through South America with a pedal steel? I will basically be in one place the entire time (flying direct from LAX).

Also, I did a search about travel and came across a thread about including pictures of the guitar in the case as it looks set up for TSA with some warnings/request about how to not handle it. Other than that and packing it well, anything else come to mind?

Lastly, anyone bought travel insurance for their instrument and have some advice about that?

Thanks.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:33 pm    

I've never flown with an instrument, buy the TSA crew would concern me, as I doubt if their first priority is to handle your precious baby with "kid gloves", if you know what I mean. I can't really see them taking the time to study pictures.

But who knows, I might be wrong about that.

I think I would personally buy a "beater" guitar to ship, something that isn't worth all that much if it gets damaged.

I would certainly get it properly appraised and insurance coverage on it.

Interesting thread, hopefully others with experience in this sort of thing will chime in with their ideas.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:41 pm    

Maybe you can borrow one once you get there.

Paging any forum members in Santiago.........

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 8:30 pm    

For flying overseas:

Check baggage regulations with your airline.

Each bag under 50lbs.

For the steel that may mean packing the legs, rods and pedalbar in a separate bag. I put those into a hockey bag along with my cloths. I also brace and fill the steel case with my cloths. Nothing can wiggle.

I use a Brand X case when I fly. I can fit an S10 Emmons with legs and all in the case and stay under 50lbs.

The case needs to be light unless money is not an issue. I have done flying tours using a cardboard box with braced corners over my regular case. It's not pretty but it can do the job.

I have not had any luck with pictures or notes. They screw with your stuff or they don't.

Anyway, it sounds like you got yourself on a great adventure ! Have fun out there.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 10:28 pm    

At check in ask for guitar to go through oversize, at his point it will be checked by TSA , who will then seal it , so should not be opened again, by doing this it normally means that case then goes through short belt straight on to a trailer, avoiding miles of conveyer belts, many with drops on them, then direct to aircraft side.You could also ask at check in if you can carry it to gate point for check in, if allowed to do this you can , when you get to gate, ask if cabin crew would allow it to be carried on board and stowed in locker.DO NOT put it in overhead locker, it is far too heavy, and in event of turbulence or heavy landing the overhead locker could open, and a fifty pound case falling out could kill or seriously injure someone.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 11:40 am    

If it were me I would get a flight case for the guitar if not for the case inside the flight case, then at least for the guitar with recessed latches.

Here's a sample of what can be made for your specific guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DSBOuGs8k

I don't trust plastic or fiberglas cases unless I'm the one handling it the whole trip as they crack and fracture.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 1:08 pm    

Those capro cases are fantastic ! I want one ! Shipping from Norway is pretty expensive though.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 1:37 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Those capro cases are fantastic ! I want one ! Shipping from Norway is pretty expensive though.

I'm sure you can get them made in your town if you have an outfit that's making flight cases. If you have major concerts happening in your town, pro sound companies don't move without flight cases. Ask them where they got theirs as more often than not those are made to order custom jobbies.

Beware of the cheaper eBay cases though if some exist for psg.

If you find a case maker you trust, and they would need to have some experience providing pro tour cases, all they'd need is the dimensions of your present case's internal dimensions and can take it from there if you want extra cubby holes for other items too.

Don't go overboard with the sizes though not unless you have roadies.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 1:54 pm    

Chile ? My only suggestion is to pack a loaded M16 with your steel. Very Happy

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 2:45 pm    

The capro cases are very different. I have and can get flight cases. The capro cases are very light and super sturdy. I had one years ago and it was light enough to be useable for flying.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 3:13 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
The capro cases are very different. I have and can get flight cases. The capro cases are very light and super sturdy. I had one years ago and it was light enough to be useable for flying.

Depends on what the skeleton is made of, the thickness of and the type ply of wood they use for the structure. And then the skin and how it is riveted together. The plywood and the skin works together with the valance, rivets and the corners.

Unless money is no object to ship one from Norway.

I had a flight case for a Hammond B3 made in Oregon, shipped it to NY before it got on a boat to get here. The skin on these cases was unlike others I've seen.

The technology for case making has improved over the years.

This is why these cases are called "flight" cases to meet ATA specs.

There's also astroboard to make these type cases.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 4:12 pm    

Greg Lambert wrote:
Chile ? My only suggestion is to pack a loaded M16 with your steel. Very Happy

Besides that, going to a place like Chile, don't expect there to be a U-haul store or a shipping box store in easy reach in case you need to get new boxes to repack your guitar going home. Be prepared to be self contained.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:27 pm    

I would graciously turn the gig down.Even though it's a great opportunity to see that part of the country, there are too many things that can go wrong & it just ain't worth the risk. If it was a big name artist, they would be insured & equipped for any eventuality, but for this type of gig...not worth the risk, IMHO.

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 5:18 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
I would graciously turn the gig down.Even though it's a great opportunity to see that part of the country, there are too many things that can go wrong & it just ain't worth the risk. If it was a big name artist, they would be insured & equipped for any eventuality, but for this type of gig...not worth the risk, IMHO.

Thanks everyone for the replies, but after further thought and research, I've come to agree with Rich. Too many unknowns and variables so I've declined the invite.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 8:08 am    

I'll throw out a couple of last ditch ideers here.

You didn't say what kind of music specifically it is.
How well do you know them?
Do they really want, or need, a PSG?

If all they want is a "country" vibe..........

Do you play lap steel?
Do you play dobro?
Do you have either?

If you haven't bailed out yet..........

Do you play regular guitar?
Do you play slide?
If they are willing to accept a "dobro", and you play regular slide guitar, try this.

Take a regular six string acoustic electric and a slide.
You can use it in standard tuning or open, it doesn't matter.
Do the time honored forum trick with a Boss GE7 EQ or similar to simulate a dobro.
Problem solved.
And you may not even need to take any gear with you.
They may already have it available there!!!!!
Seriously, why don't more people come to me for the answers? ;>))

I have recorded a couple of things with this set up, and IMO it's good enough to fool most people.

As for the M16 thing, well, that's absolutely ridiculous.
I mean, be serious.
Do you really think you could get an M16 past our cracker jack airport security?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 8:27 am    

Music equipment insurance is pretty easy to get and not expensive.
People that warn you about it being dangerous in other countries compared to the USA usually have not visited there.

I have traveled a bit through Latin America (mostly Argentina) and I loved it. I have buddys that gig regularly in South America and they can never wait to get back.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 2:54 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Music equipment insurance is pretty easy to get and not expensive.
People that warn you about it being dangerous in other countries compared to the USA usually have not visited there.

I have traveled a bit through Latin America (mostly Argentina) and I loved it. I have buddys that gig regularly in South America and they can never wait to get back.

Lots of major artists go to Chile, as in the Festival de Vina Del Mar. There was one last February.

Argentina gets major entertainers that some other countries don't get. I have a friend there who is a musician with a musician son.

If you were invited and they are paying the travel costs then if you packed your guitar in a flight case, they should cover the costs of that getting on the flight with you and back. If you have a case made ask for at least one locking recessed latch.

It would be an adventure.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 21 Jul 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 3:19 pm     Go to Chile

I agree withBob Hoffner and Godfrey, go to Chile ,if you can. It will be an experience you won't forget.
I've never been there but from what I've read, it is a pretty tranquil and advanced place.

One thing you might consider is picking up a used lightweight steel like Doug Earnest's Stage One which comes with a strong plywood case. Guitar and case check in at 43 lbs. and you could always sell it when you return to the USA . They sell quickly on The Forum

Bon voyage,
Stevet

Last edited by steve takacs on 22 Jul 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 11:23 am     Tips on traveling to Chile with my steel guitar

One suggestion would be put a firm filler between the pickups and the strings. If the case is dropped on a conveyor with the steel upside down in the case. The pickup would basically be hanging by the 2 small screws. Could tear the pickup loose or break the mounting plate.
I know a local player sent a steel UPS to Texas for a tour and had to rent a steel for the shows because his pickup was broken in such an incident.
Good Luck and a Safe Happy Trip, Happy Steelin.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 5:19 am    

Of course you should go! I've traveled with pedal steel to Uruguay and Argentina a few times, and I'll be going again to Buenos Aires in September. I play a single 12 that I carry in a shoulder bag, and I check the legs and pedal rack separately. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood), my checked bag was delayed once for a day on a flight to New York. Interesting trying to play a rehearsal with no pedals. If your flight is direct LA to Santiago, I think your chances are good for a problem-free experience. I've flown with pedal steel to southern Africa as well a few times without incident. Chile is not a 3rd world country.