The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Crying By William Litaker
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 12:43 pm    

Here is a nice one from William Litaker from a few years back! Maybe make a good project tune. What do you think guys and gals? I like it Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8sgLX3kG0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Larry Robbins on 23 Jul 2017 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Gary Hellums

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 1:49 pm    

I for one will have to have a box of Kleenex next to me when this one is being played! Ain't because of me trying to play it but listening to William as he teaches it. Crying was written for a PS. It's got everything. William is masterful at hitting those low strings and transitioning up. Let's do it!

Tim Tyner

Ayden, North Carolina U.S.A
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:58 pm    

Nice!

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 2:23 am    

To put it simply, Yes!

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 3:04 am    

I like it!

William Litaker

Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 11:24 am    

Thanks guys.....If everybody wants to learn "Crying" next on Steelin Techniques we will. We will get them all in line to learn. Hang with me. Thanks again....
http://www.pedalsteeler.com/

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 11:59 am    

Great job, Willam.
The tone and technique is great.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 4:14 am    

I really liked that arrangement William! What a great song. That's one that I would love to learn.

Gary Hellums

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 12:53 pm     Technique Lesson

Today's Saturday Technique Exercise with William really hit a sweet spot wit me on timing and playing behind a band. My fellow steel playing friends, it's confession time for me. Sadly to say, I have NEVER played with, in front of, behind, whatever with a band before in my life--and, I've played a lap steel for awhile. Only thing I played were instrumentals like Bud's Bounce, Roadside Rag, Steel Guitar Rag with a group of friends. I started the song out (most of the time badly) and the group tried to Follow Me! I realize now what a struggle it was for them. Only thing I had to worry about is just don't screw up--rest of the guys are on their own. That was NOT playing with a band. Talk about bad habits-that one is unforgivable. William counting these exercises off with the tracks has given me a whole new prospective on learning to play this thing.

William Litaker

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 9:56 am    

Ok guys , This Sat. we will on Steelin Techniques get started on this tune, "Crying". We will get them all for sure.

Go to pedalsteeler.com and scroll down to the Broadcast and click "Subscribe".

If you have any questions or concerns I will personally help you with it. Just let me know and I will walk you thru the entire process...

Come on guys , find out what my subscribers are talking about.......Learn to play this thing...Steel Guitar...

Do it !

CRYING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8sgLX3kG0&feature=youtu.be

Gary Hellums

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 2:13 pm     Crying1

So glad that William is teaching this beautiful song "Crying" and that the rest of the pedal steel forum folks chose it as this first week's learning project. This song on a steel grabs not only your heart strings but your "Soul"" as well--just beautiful. I learned something this week. You don't have to be sitting behind that steel in order to learn something from William's Steeling Technique Video ( although much better if you are). Personally, I'm with the family in Colorado vacationing. No room in the car for my steel and my mother-in-law.
It wasn't an easy choice. So, traveling up the mountain side in a gondola, I'm watching and listening to this Saturday's lesson on my phone. The beauty of it all, is that you are learning a little something on how to approach and play this instrument no matter who, what, where or when (even with the mother-in-law beside you)!!!! Appreciate the few minutes William went over the tunning regarding the PS. This "Crying" song looks like the tuning has to be right on. One day, maybe, William can take a few minutes on tuning each string on his E9.
GREAT STUFF THIS WEEK!

Steve Cagle

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 4:39 pm     Steeling

Very nice...

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 5:22 am    

Yup, it was a great session guys.
Thanks, William!

William Litaker

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 1:38 pm    

Join us for Steelin Techniques every week! just go to pedalsteeler.com and scroll down to the Broadcast section and click "Subscribe".

Check it out.....

Gary Hellums

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 5:45 pm    

This is the place where Men and Women of STEEL meet every Saturday. Said to be a shortage of steel guitar players. William is making sure that ain't going to happen on his watch! Saturday--B There------

Gary Hellums

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 1:20 pm    

Home from Colorado, sitting behind my steel (mother-in-law gone). Doesn't get any better! Great session today, William. The song Crying is without any doubt my "anchor" song (if I ever learn it). This is a must learn song if you play steel. As you pointed out, it has all those beautiful cord changes that you hear. Playing over the cords, the song tempo and the "feeling and passion" that you can put into playing this tune helps you see why you spend so much time practicing and learning this instrument. It's worth it!
YOUR PHONE! It's all in the right hand, William. Technique and practice. If you can operate that steel like you do, I know you can operate that phone.
GREAT STUFF!

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 2:08 pm    

Crying is a great melody and a real classic. I really like that William has included a study of Sleepwalk as the technique exercise. I'm having fun!

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 3:41 pm    

7.5 years ago, William did this song and did a great performance.
He gets a great sound it if that Emmons and session.
Great job wants again, William.

Gary Hellums

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:34 pm    

Today's program (08/19/17) jam packed of awesome material. Thanks William for the heads-up on "bad habits". Best seeing it coming b4 it hits. I've seen Sleep Walk played a hundred different ways on PS. Amazing sound just by using simple steel guitar Techniques. Says a lot about the weekly techniques. "Crying" must be a bear tabbing out
to get that sound. Watching, listening and looking at the tabulature sure helps with the "getting frustrated" attitude, that hits me a lot. The scanner esposide was great, too! Gave me time to practice while you hunted for it.
GREAT STUFF!