The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Thompson
Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:13 am    

Can anyone tell me who played steel for Hank Thompson?

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:18 am    

Bobby Garrett, Bob White, Bobby Boyd, and Bobby White to name a few. I guess you had to be named Bob to work for Hank. Laughing

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:24 am    

Thanks, Jim Bob. It looks like you did have to be named Bob to play with Hank. I always liked the sound and though it might be a non-pedal steel.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:25 am    

Pee Wee Whitewing, Burt Rivera and Curly Chalker also come to mind.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:43 am    

At one time he had two steel guitar players in his band. Very Happy

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 5:13 pm    

Jack Hargraves wrote:
Thanks, Jim Bob. It looks like you did have to be named Bob to play with Hank. I always liked the sound and though it might be a non-pedal steel.

I had the good fortune to do about 5 gigs with Hank back in the mid eighties. Hank did not like to hear pedals while he was singing as it pulled his voice off pitch. He was a prince of a man to work with. If you can find the Hank Thompson at the Golden Nugget or the live Cheyenne rodeo album, you'll hear Bobby Garrett tearing up the pedals on Rose City Chimes. I think you can find these on U-Tube. Hank didn't care too much if you played pedals on the solo parts of his music a long as the feel and key licks were placed where they belonged. (whoo, I am getting long winded. Razz )

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 5:14 pm    

Lefty Nason, Lynn Frazier, JD Walters, Dusty Stewart, and... Question

I played about a dozen or so gigs with Hank during my time in the Bandoleros 1992-2006. Hank could be a total prince to work with, or a complete "pill," depending on a lot of things. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 5:49 pm    

Big Jim Murphy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 7:01 pm    

Well I never got to play for him but I did eat Breakfast in Nocona TX at the Mayors house with him back around 1984 or there abouts. He seemed like a very nice guy.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 9:56 pm    

Donny Buzzard played steel with HANK for a short time around 1977, but got fired for playing tunes like "Sunshine of your Love" w/ the fuzz tone turned on during breaks. Oh Well

Roger

Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:34 pm    

The steel solo on Honky Tonk Town (1966-version) is one of the finest steel solos I have ever heard. Perfect sound, pitch and taste. Who played that solo, Bob White og Pee Wee? Sounds like a Bigsby.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 12:43 am    

Tore Blestrud wrote:
The steel solo on Honky Tonk Town (1966-version) is one of the finest steel solos I have ever heard. Perfect sound, pitch and taste. Who played that solo, Bob White og Pee Wee? Sounds like a Bigsby.

The only 1960s version I know of was earlier than 1966 and I think it's Bobby Garrett.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 1:24 am    

There was a steel player from Champaign/Urbana IL. named Whit Taylor who played steel for Hank Thompson for awhile. He was a legend around here. I never got to hear him play live, but I've heard him on some live recordings and he was a great musician. He had a great knowledge of chord theory. I was playing a road gig in Pueblo Colorado once and a guy came up and talked to me while I was tuning up and and after awhile mentioned Hank Thompson and Whit Taylor. I got a big kick out of that "small world" moment.

Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 1:33 am    

My mistake. Honky Tonk Town was recorded earlier than 1966. From the Six Pack to Go album:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-six-pack-to-go-mw0000204992

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 11:42 am    

Thanks to all of you for all the good responses. I learned a lot.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 11:53 am    

There are A LOT of steel players that played behind Hank when he was doing "singles" with house bands, or pickup bands. Same with Johnny Bush, or any number of country stars who no longer carry their own band to all their jobs. While I was a member of Johnny Bush's band, I only considered myself to be backing Hank on his singles jobs, not being one of the Brazos Valley Boys.

I differentiate those players from those who wore the uniform, traveled in the bus, and perhaps also played on Hank's recordings.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 12:25 pm    

Thanks Herb for your last post on this subject. I like the word you used (differentiate). To backup and play for a "Star" does not make you a band member. But bragging rights maybe?? To wear the uniform and ride the bus is a whole different ballgame. To record with that person would be the icing on the cake. You Sir have been their and done that. I pat you on the back. J.R. Rose

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 12:29 pm     Whit Taylor

I never knew Whit Taylor personally but I have heard stories about him ever since I moved to Colorado Springs in 1964. He was sort of a legend around here but had moved on I think before I arrived. Fred Jack knows a lot about Whit as they used to play together here in the Springs. I never knew that he played with Hank Thompson but I think Lars Madsen a fine drummer did during the early 60's. Lars and Whit were big buddies and may have played with Hank about the same time. Lars played drums for me off and on for about 8 years.

Very interesting post about the steel players with Hank and I am sure there were many more. I and my band opened a show that Hank was on back in the late 70's or early 80's. I don't remember the exact year.

Thanks for all the info in this post.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 1:37 pm    

I assume Gary Hogue was a full-fledged Brazos Valley Boy. I saw Hank only once and Hogue was in the band--in San Francisco, probably 1980s.

Add Pete Martinez--he played on the original "Green Light".

Add Jimmy Gilliland, whoever he is---recorded with Hank in 1946, before he ever hit the big time.

Here's a couple of pix of Whit Taylor. I guess he never recorded with anyone, at all? Fred Jack on bass in the second picture.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 2:25 pm    

Yes, Gary Hogue was a BVB. Smile

The picture of my pal Fred Jack is priceless! I think Fred is a Forumite.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 4:30 pm     Whit

Many memories are flashing right now. Whit was a very fine steeler. He played big fat chords like Chalker and was fast and clean like Charleton.He was a genius and he wasn't always agreeable. I was going to tell a story about him, and I know many, but I will answer first the question of him playing for Hank. I do not believe that he did.I went to the Springs in 1958 on my way to Calif and he was not there. I came back in 1962 and he was there and we started playing together.He was working with a recording artist from Pueblo and they were working The Hogan. Did I mention Whit was persnickety? He didn't like country as we did. He liked "pretty stuff".Well, one night in particular they were working the Hogan and Bill would sing 'the keys in th m.b....,look down at Whit and say" punch them pedals, come on in..punch them pedal dammit, I'm sitting here, I said punch them pedals you sob.
Whit stood up, turned around and got his side cutters, punched his volume pedal all the way on and cut ten strings off. That ended that gig for him. I will reminence for a week now cause I am charged up. When we moved to Iowa and worked in Des Moines and Sioux Falls S D he lived with us about two years.Man what an education. I loved him dearly and learned so much from him. But temperamental doesn't begin to describe him. Waiting time on a Bigsby then was over a year. Maybe two. Momma and Daddy bought him a 3 neck. He sent it to Dallas and had 2 necks cut off of it.Bobbe Seymour told me that he knew who did that and that he made a second ten string and sold it and then made himself one. More later if anyone is interested.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 4:31 pm     Hank

Another midwest boy was Don Muzney that played guitar and steel for Hank around the Midwest.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:19 pm    

Great story Fred. I know you are full of them. Two or three years ago I worked in Des Moines and did not find much country music or Clubs. When were you their and what was the name of a club or two? J.R.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:40 pm     Whit

Well, taxing the old memory a bit, lets see, I worked Haps Corral six nite a week job, and the Rangers, and the Pines, The Peyton Place, Nicks on the East side,J & B, a couple of clubs out on SE 14th St, Waukee, I think that was the Golden Boot??,A nice club on Hwy 92 East of Knoxville. Man I remembered far more than I thought I could. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:43 pm     Whit

Jimmy Bryant came to visit me for a week or so in 1969 and we played several places. West D.M. was a place called Grandma's Lounge J.B. and several of us played there and I worked there several times with Marvin Rainwater and Red Sovine and others.