The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Hughey Backing Tracks
Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 9:54 am    

Hi all! This is my first topic post on the forum so fist off, greetings from one green player here in Cincinnati! My question is regarding backing tracks. I was informed that Mrs. John Hughey ( Jean I think is her name) sells, or, was at least at some point selling backing tracks to Johns music. However, I haven't been able to locate them on the web. As I said, I am very green to PSG (only 3 months of playing now) and I'm looking for backing tracks to learn and play with. Any help or advice is welome! Thanks all!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 10:26 am    

http://www.johnhughey.com/
Too bad they don't accept credit cards and PayPal !
No pdf no mp3 either ! Sad

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:12 am    

ThAnks for the info. It would be nice to get them as MP3. I just am a huge Hughey fan and love some of his songs (sweet memories, look at us, etc). I tried getting David Hartley's track for sweet memories (I think he did it in the same key as when John played it with Dawn Sears) but I can't find David's backing tracks on cd baby, just his instrumental projects. Any other sites where I could get quality backing tracks would be appreciated. I know Mike Headrick has some, and Greg Cutshaw (I think that the spelling) but my knowledge is limited. Thanks for the reply!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 6:35 am    

Welcome to the forum Jim. You know there are a lot of fine pickers in the Cincy area and you may be familiar with them, but in case you aren't, check out from the Northern Ky area around there:

Cameron Cochran with the Midwestern Swing. I think they still play at Japp's in Cincy a couple times a week. They have some great videos online too.

Also Chuck Rich still playing regularly at Bobby Mackey's over in Wilder Ky last I knew.

Fabulous steel players and great bands.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 7:37 am    

Jerry I have met a couple guys through the forum, and I've known a fellow forum member, Tony Rankin, in miamisburg for years and he teaches me. I had no idea there were so many great PSG players in the area. Kenny holycross player on a gospel album I was part of years ago to and he is a tremendous talent. I'd lo a to see a pedal steel get together around here so I am thinking of trying to organize that.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 9:25 am    

Welcome Jim.

Here is another track for that song but I'm not sure he plays it the style your looking for .( Instant download PLUS charts!)

https://sellfy.com/p/Tjwm/
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 10:38 am    

Thank you so much Bob. By the way if you ever want to donate that Franklin to a guitar poor fella give me a holler. Haha I love how Franklin's sound I wish they were still made because I would definitely save all of my nickels and dimes to get one. Maybe one day I will be able to find a used Franklin for my own. The very first pedal steel I ever heard was a Franklin played by a fellow Forum member Francis Chamberlain. What a beautiful tone and a beautiful guitar all around

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 6:15 am    

I love Zanes picking so thank you for directing me to his travks.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:06 am    

HI Jim,

I'm glad it worked out for you.

re:donate that Franklin

I'll have to think about that one LOL

re: Zane's picking

Yes , a awesome player. There are lots of his vireo's on YouTube.

Bob
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:10 am    

Think as long as you need to....Its worth the wait! Being green I am slowly finding out I am gonna need to upgrade my guitar sooner than later. Don't get me wrong, my GFI sounds great, but I just HAVE to get that string 1&2 raise! A fella sent me Paul Jr. Talking and explaining how to use that change and it's so nice. The student model has a 1 &7 change rather than a 1&2 ehich, apparently, guys don't use much anymote. But.....I'm gonna have to learn to play a bit first! Question, is it difficult to get used to a new copedent when buying a new guitar? Just curious if it would be better to wait to upgrade guitars or to do it soon so I can learn with more changes.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:19 am    

I also am gonna need one of the Frabklin oedals yo get the 5,6 &10 whole tone lower (I think that's what it does) a wise man once said you get what you pay for. My student model GFI is a great starter guitar...economically and tone quality, played well too when someone who knows what they r doing is behind it. However, you csnt change the copedent which stinks. Why can't you change get the copedent? I don't know anything about doing such changes so can you tell me what prevents you from changing it?

John Lang

Las Vegas, Nevada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 9:37 am    

Jim, Jean Hughey works the door at the Time Jumpers shows at Third and Lindsley in Nashville on Monday nights if you are ever in town and would like to meet her. Wonderful, sweet lady.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 9:40 am    

Thanks John....I'd love to meet her. From what I understand, she attends a lot of shows as well. I am going to order some product through the web site form her in the mean time. Thanks!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 10:39 am    

Jim, I have a backing track CD that's listed on here somewhere, you might be interested in.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 10:46 am    

Jim -

Most of John Hughey's instructional / tablature courses included backing tracks.

Great stuff.

Ron