The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fishman Aura (s)
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 4:41 pm    

There appear to be a number of imaging type pedals under the fishman aura label...

Was wondering which of those in the lineup deliver the best results on acousic guitar.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 6:51 pm    

You can still find either used or probably NOS the Aura 16 for acoustic flattop guitars, similar to the Jerry Douglas Aura pedal that is specifically for resonator guitars, but I believe the "16" has been dropped from the product line. As I recall they were selling new for ballpark $170.

The one they are highlighting now is the Aura Spectrum D.I. which includes pretty much everything but the kitchen sink and it goes for about $329. A much better option in my opinion.

It also contains resonator images but they are not of the same quality as those found in the Douglas pedal.

But there is a seemingly endless number of options available in the Spectrum that were not available in the "16."

Be aware that the unit is designed to work best with an under-the-saddle pickup, which is true of all the Fishman Aura products.

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/aura/aura-spectrum-di-preamp/

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 2:24 pm    

Tom
Check your email

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 2:21 am    

Mark Eaton... thanks for the info

Mark Tulbert.. my forum email address was discontinued thus didnt get your message... I updated my profile with a new one.. please resend to new email address. Thanks.

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 6:45 pm    

Tom,
I have a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and I love it.
It has a bank of 16 user-selected presets in addition to many other banks of "standard" presets of popular guitar model images recorded with a variety of high-end mics (and some lower-end mics such as the SM57). You have to program the 16 user images via USB. If you have a reasonably popular model of guitar, you'll likely be able to find images in the Fishman image library. I found 4 images for a Martin D-35, for example, all with different mics. Picking a model similar to your guitar will yield good results (I like some of the Martin D-28 images with my D-35, for example).
You can blend the straight pickup sound with the processed sound. It has 3-band EQ, but that does not affect the processed sound, only the pickup sound. The unit also has compression (one knob) and feedback suppression, and, of course, an XLR output.
It does not have the capability to use phantom power, but battery life seems to be OK (I bought a wall wart too). I use this with a D-35, an Ibanez nylon-string, and a Washburn parlor guitar set up in high-strung tuning. They all sound great, very close to a mic'ed sound.
My reso does not have a pickup yet, so I haven't tried the stock reso images. There is a bank of 16 "bluegrass" images that includes reso and mandolin.