The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Legrande II - Pedal Rods getting hung up.
Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 7:01 pm    

I just purchased an Emmons Legrande II. I have set it up, and now discovered that the C6th pedal rods are not being allowed to pull down. The rod hooks are getting hung up on what I would call a spacer board near the place where the rod attaches to the linkage. Also All of the pedal rods have a bend in them about 3 inches from the hook. Is this normal? As far as the hook goes, I am thinking that they will need to be bent slightly to miss this piece of wood.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome as I am asking for advice.

Thank you,
Jeff.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 8:27 pm    

Jeff, if you can post a picture it would be a big help. The short answer. The pedal rods for the C6th should be shaped just like the rods for the E9. Unless the E9 rods have also been modified to some extent.

b.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 9:06 pm    

Can you turn 'em around? The 'open' side of the hook should face the inside.. or maybe I don't understand the question..

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 1:10 am    

PHOTO please

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 3:54 am    

Different guitars brands hook the pedal rods from different directions. Emmons rods should be installed by tilting the rod to the right when inserting the hook. Could that be the problem?

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 5:58 am     Emmons Legrande II - Pedal Rods getting hung up.

The rods have been placed on the guitar correctly. May have been out of adjustment from the start. You can see where the hook has cut into the wood. I don't see an adjustment for the receiver to slide inward to correct this, so I am thinking the hook itself may need to be bent slightly inward to correct this problem.

More thoughts?

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 6:02 am     Emmons Legrande II - Pedal Rods getting hung up.

I did loosen the set nut where the rod connects to the piece that slides onto the post for the pedal, and turn the rod inward as much as possible, and tightened back down. The picture shows the adjustment. Before that, the hooks were just stopping on that piece of wood. Still catching some, so that is where and why I stopped to see if you all know of another adjustment I can try before I start bending those rods. I prefer to just bend the strings, if you know what I mean. Smile

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 6:09 am     Emmons Legrande II - Pedal Rods getting hung up.

Here is a full view of the underside.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 12:02 pm    

well they certainly are installed properly and they are indeed striking the wood strip.

My Legrande II has enough clearance for the rod "hook". Although not much, just enough to squeak by.

I too would put a gentle bend on each of the hooks to allow them to clear that wood strip and I may do it to each of mine as a precaution.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 10:07 pm    

If it were mine and I could get at it with a Dremel tool, I'd grind away just enough of the wood strip to let the hook slide by and then paint the raw place in the wood black.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 1:44 am    

Try this: With the guitar upside down loosen the nut by the hex end on the other end of the pedal rod by the pedal. Unhook the hex from the pedal and turn the hex ever so slightly counter clockwise and re-tighten the nut. Now when you put the hex back on, the rod will turn slightly clockwise. It might be enough to not get caught up.

Best of luck finding a solution...

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 7:59 am    

Isn't there a spring in the cross hole on that end that keeps them pushed out a little? I had a Legrand that did that once and I put rods in a vice and just bent an angle on the little hook, didn't take much. Was thinking there was a spring that is supposed to keep them pushed out a little.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 11:45 am    

Jeffrey, when you tighten the locking nut that keeps the rod connector from vibrating out of adjustment it is natural the the hook end wants to turn in toward the front apron of the guitar. I would turn the guitar upside down, loosen the locking nut on top of the pedal rod connector, twist the hook away from the front apron and just barely snug the locking nuts, it doesn't need to be very tight. If you have trouble doing that you can lightly grip the pedal rod (not tight enough to deface it), hold it in position with the hook away from the front and slightly snug the nut.
Jerry

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 8:35 am    

Mine were factory bent and work well

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 11:49 am    

The rods are supposed to have that bend. You should not bend them differently.
Jerry

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 12:27 pm    

Jerry Roller wrote:
The rods are supposed to have that bend. You should not bend them differently.
Jerry

Exactly right............I posted the photo so Jeffery could see the original pedal rod design (& solution) to his problem

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 16 Jul 2017 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 1:24 pm    

Thank you guys. My pedal rods have that same bend. The only bend being considered now is a slight bend at the hook to miss the slab of wood that the helper springs attach to.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 3:27 pm    

Why would you insist on bending something that just needs adjusted? You could just loosen the lock nuts at the hex connectors and leave them loose and the rods would self adjust and not rub.

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 4:29 pm    

Thank you Jerry. If you read the first of my thread you will see that that is what I tried first. I am very picky about all my equipment, and would never do anything without thought. That is also why I asked advice here. The only thing that makes any sense is that this may have been slightly out of spec when originally assembled. Working through it. Smile
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks