The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker 518
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 11:45 am    

I have just aquired a Rickenbacker 518 8-10-8 as a project however there does not look to be too much work to be done. The laquer is crazed but the surface still takes a good shine. The question is do I strip and respray or leave as is. I am very much tempted to leave it.

There are no tuning pan covers so will have to fabricate these from aluminum. Does anyone know what thickness material was used on the original.

Electrics to be looked at.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 1:22 pm     Re: Rickenbacker 518

Mick Hearn wrote:
I am very much tempted to leave it.

I think you answered your own question. Unless the lacquer is falling off and leaving large areas of exposed wood, I wouldn't refinish it. If you think you might sell it down the road, I don't think you'd recoup the cost of a professional refinish (even if you're the professional). My thinking is that a superb refinish won't add much to the value of the guitar and an amateur one will detract significantly.

If it's going to be your player for some time and the checking in the finish bothers you, that's a different story. The above quote makes me think that it's probably not a big deal to you though. Some players even prefer some degree of visual "character" in a vintage instrument.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 4:57 pm     Checkering is nice

It's called "Checkering" and it's nice.
We expect that in older instruments.
In fact they are worth more like that than refinished.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:00 am    

Am I starting to lose heart here. Having taken the bottom off I find that the body is made from plywood. There are no serial numbers anywhere but one word written in large letters - "Sample".

Have I bought a pig in a poke or are they all made like this?

Help!!!!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:37 am     Test model

Maybe it's a proto type? If so it may be worth even more than you thought?
However my real knowledge is quite limited.
If you like the steel and are satisfied with the price, then the other things are of little concern. Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:27 am    

Have found out more about this guitar. Apparently it came from Bobbe Seymour who had a salesman friend. The story goes that the saleman took it to Bobbe who did not want it as this was the time that everyone was moving across to pedals. The salesman had aquired it from Rickenbacker as a demonstrator. Eventually the salesman died and when Bobbe was asked to value some of his instruments for the family he bought the Rickenbacker for old times sake and was not really interested in playing it.

Several years down the line he sold it to a player here in the UK. Apparently there were no covers on the tuners when purchased, and this would also account for the word "Sample" inside.