The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Some 8 String Resos
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 6:57 pm    

These guitars of mine get the most use these days. On the left is my first, a Gold Tone Beard, set up in Murphey’s C6/A7 tuning. I'm probably going to put an E13 on it for fun, soon. In the middle is the McKenna, my rescue reso. I bought it unseen as a Tricone. A bit disappointing. It had all the sustain of a banjo when I got it but with a Quarterman cone in it, it is a great axe. On the left is some old thing I picked up last year when visiting the States. Sounds quite good set up in A6, as is the McKenna.

This bag of bits was removed from the guts of the McKenna. Boy, it was solid! Even with a couple of tin fish amidships she still would have stayed afloat, I reckon.

The string gauge question and supply is always an issue for the 8 string resoist.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 11:55 pm    

Guy, do you have a pickup in any of them? I have an 8 string Gold Tone just like yours and I have been wanting to put a pickup in it. I'm curious to hear what other 8 string Dobro players are using these days.

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 12:42 am    

I long for an Aura 8 string bridge to work with the pedal, Bob, but I don't think it's ever going to happen with the size of the market. I make do with a Myers 'Feather' system but it's not ideal. Once you have tried the Aura system nothing else measures up, not that I am playing loud much these days.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 1:26 am    

I too have been hoping that they come out with an 8 string aura pickup. I have the Fishman spider pickup in a 6 string Gold Tone and I've been tempted to put the aura on it and put the spider pickup on the 8 string. The spider pickup sounds pretty good with the 6 string using a Baggs Para DI, but I know the Fishman Nashville pickup would sound better. There are a couple of 8 string Dobro players on the Forum that swear by the Schertler Resonator pickup but they are a bit pricey. I haven't looked into this for awhile, so I don't know if there is anything new out there. Perhaps someone in the know will respond.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 6:05 am    

That bag o' wood is astounding, Guy!

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 6:27 am    

Well, the three cones were certainly secure, Andy. Astounding but not 'a sounding', unfortunately.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 11:09 am    

I am currently trying out a new 8 string reso in the 22 1/2 scale, built by Jim Adams in Spring, TX (adamsresonator.com)

I put the G 6th on it (h-l) DBGEDBGE. It has a GREAT baritone sound and plenty of volume.

Thanx,
Jim

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 9:10 pm    

Interesting, Jim. I haven't heard of 22 1/2" scale for resos. It would be good to hear what that sounds like. I went for A6 because I found that while G6 was fine for solo playing, it didn't cut it for me in a group situation. However, with the same strings and more tension I could get the cone moving more effectively.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 7:45 pm    

Guy,
I have couple of non-bluegrass gigs coming up and I plan to try this 8 stringer on some good dance tunes like: Harbor Lights, Sentimental Journey, San Antonio Rose, and Don't Get Around Much Anymore. Will play directly into PA using an SM57 or CS1000 AKG mike. For live music,you have to stay away from the drums, the bass amp, and turn down your monitor (or turn it away from you. The mains will get a good volume to the audience.

I will try to let you know how this worked out. My Fender T-8 is a 22 1/2 " scale so the 22 1/2" reso will, I guess, get me play faster, because I don't have to travel the distance to get to the next note ???

Thanx,
Jim