The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

How many have used other different tunings live for different bands, instrumentation, recording, situations etc. as opposed to the same tuning all the time?
I use the same exact same tuning in all situations.
90%
 90%  [ 40 ]
I vary my tuning to fit different situations.
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 44

Author Topic:  Tuning experiment
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 2:44 pm    

I have a number of friends and acquaintances that are very accomplished PSG players that tune E.T. and of course many tune J.I. and all points in between.
In the past I have played their guitars tuned to E.T. in a live band situation it sounds okay to me in a live situation.
I tune to Peterson 0E9th and as we know sitting in a room by yourself E.T. can sound a little pitchy BUT! after a while the ears seem to adjust some what.
I suspect the audiences ears are adjusted to sharp 3rds if they are aware at all.
Anyway I am going to tune one of my guitars to E.T. and start playing it out to see what happens.
Question is: How many have used other different tunings live for different bands, instrumentation, recording, situations etc. as opposed to the same tuning all the time?
I will post my results later as I get input. ^_^

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 9:27 pm    

I don't think the audience hears a difference, but musicians do. In my experience, most musicians prefer to hear perfect thirds, even if they can't play them. I played a real big, beautiful, beatless G chord at rehearsal the other night and everyone marveled at the sound of it. Nobody ever says I'm out of tune unless I actually am playing out of tune.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 10:59 am    

I am a musician who plays PSG and also has a particular love of classical piano music. Far from having to overcome a perceived imperfection of the major chords, I am frequently struck by the sheer beauty of a sustaining major chord on a well-tuned piano. And no matter what tweaks are applied in the tuning of a piano that make it not truly ET, no piano tuned to play music that modulates through as many keys as a piece by Beethoven, Schubert, or Chopin can be producing thirds anywhere close to JI, i.e. beatless.

(I use Meantone temperament in tuning my PSG.)